We made it…another successful Strata-Hadoop World show for Cisco’s Big Data & Analytics team. This year we had a few unique challenges – the Pope was leaving town when we arrived; then the UN General Assembly made traffic a bit more difficult than normal; finally towards week’s end the threat of ‘The Hurricane’ for the East Coast…
Cisco had an active presence at Strata this year with several newsworthy and interesting highlights:
• Introducing Cisco Data Preparation. Cisco Data Preparation (Data Prep) makes it easy for non-technical business analysts to gather, explore, cleanse, combine and enrich the data that fuels analytics. Read Kevin Ott’s Data Prep blog here. Read More »
Tags: Big Data, Cisco, Cisco Data Preparation, Cisco Data virtualization, Cisco UCS, Cloudera, Hortonworks, IBM, IBM BigInsights, Integrated infrastructure, Intel, MapR, nexus, Splunk, Splunk Enterprise, versastack
In December 2014, we announced VersaStack, an integrated infrastructure reference solution for enterprise applications that combines technologies from Cisco and IBM. Further extending this partnership, today we are announcing support for IBM BigInsights for Apache Hadoop on our Cisco UCS Integrated infrastructure for Big Data – an industry-leading platform widely adapted for enterprise big data application deployments. The joint solution encompasses disruptive innovations in Cisco UCS and the robust and industry-compatible Apache Hadoop distribution from IBM. This solution can be installed as a standalone Hadoop cluster with powerful analytical tools or can be integrated into existing VersaStack deployments that will benefit from a common fabric and unified management capabilities to deliver the deepest possible insight into your data to help you gain a sustainable competitive advantage.
We are also announcing the availability of Cisco Validated Design (CVD) that provides step by step design guidelines comprehensively tested and documented to help ensure faster, more reliable and predictable deployments at lower total cost of ownership.
- Combines innovations from Cisco UCS such as programable infrastructure with best of open source software with enterprise-grade capabilities in IBM BigInsights for Apache Hadoop
- Designed and optimized for common use cases, pre-tested, pre-validated and fully documented by Cisco and IBM engineers to ensure dependable deployments that can scale from small to very large as workload demands
- Provides enterprises with extensive platform management and data visualization capabilities and integration of big data with other information solutions to help enhance data manipulation and management tasks
- Brings the power of SQL to Hadoop at the performance and scale ever than before accelerating data science and analytics leveraging SQL – arguably the most beautiful programming language – and integration with business applications to access data stored in HDFS and HBase with JDBC and ODBC
- Deep technical expertise, global resources, and world-class support and services from Cisco, IBM and partners
This solution is built on Cisco UCS infrastructure using Cisco UCS 6200 Series Fabric Interconnects and Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers optimized for IBM BigInsights for Apache Hadoop with scalability to thousands of nodes with Cisco Nexus 9000 Series Switches:
For more information, please visit:
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/raghu_nambiar for real time updates.
Tags: Apache Hadoop, Big Data, Cisco UCS, data center, IBM, IBM BigInsights, versastack
Each week, we’ll highlight the most important Cisco Partner Ecosystem news and stories, as well as point you to important, Cisco-related partner content you may have missed along the way. Here’s what you might have missed this week:
Off the Top
Well it’s here! It’s time! Early tomorrow morning I will board a plan and head to Montreal, Canada for Cisco Marketing Velocity 2015 and Cisco Partner Summit 2015. I’ve spent the last few weeks making sure you’re ready for these two huge events by asking things like, “Are You Ready for Cisco Marketing Velocity and Partner Summit?”. I have also introduced you to the Cisco Social Ambassadors for the two events.
I’ve walked you through Cisco Virtual Partner Summit (VPS) for those of you that won’t be onsite in Montreal. VPS is the perfect way to keep up with what’s going on throughout the week, even if you are not physically there.
This week I gave you one last checklist to make sure you’re prepared to hit the ground running with Cisco Marketing Velocity and Cisco Partner Summit, whether you’re actually in Canada, or participating via VPS. Also, just in case you didn’t see it last Friday, Bruce Klein and Canadian counterpart David De Abreu joined a podcast to provide a preview of Cisco Partner Summit 2015.
As you can imagine, next week is going to be a busy one on the Cisco Partner Blog. For that reason, we will not have a Cisco Partner Weekly Rewind blog on May 1. The Weekly Rewind will return on May 8 to wrap up all of our coverage of Marketing Velocity and Partner Summit.
I think you’re ready. I know I’m ready to get to Montreal and get this show on the road. See you in Canada! Read More »
Tags: #ciscops15, #mktgvelocity, Cisco, Cisco Marketing Velocity, cisco partner summit, collaboration, IBM, partner, versastack, virtual partner summit, vps, Weekly Rewind
She’s an inventor, she’s a mom, she’s a VP at IBM…Jessica Murillo does it all. She’s not only a role model for women in technology, she’s a role model for anyone in technology. With dozens of patents, years of experience, and a strong vision of the tech trends that will impact business over the next several years, she is someone worth listening to. I interviewed her last week for OpenStack Podcast #18, and got her thoughts on:
- Why tech needs women
- Why IBM is so interested in OpenStack
- OpenStack’s growth and momentum compared to Linux
- The power of the OpenStack Summits
- How she manages to raise a family while building such an impressive career
- Why it’s important to ask for help and build a strong personal as well as professional support community
- Why more girls don’t gravitate toward science, math, and engineering, and what we can do to change that
To see who we’re interviewing next, or to sign-up for the OpenStack Podcast, check out the show schedule! Interested in participating? Tweet us at @nextcast and @nikiacosta.
For a full transcript of the interview, click read more below.
Read More »
Tags: IBM, Jessica Murillo, Niki Acosta, OpenStack Podcast
I’ve written a number of blogs on the economic value of Cisco UCS and how it is changing the economics of the datacenter. Now, for the first time we performed a TCO comparison of our new VersaStack solution and how it stacks up versus the competition. The VersaStack solution combines the innovation of Cisco UCS Integrated Infrastructure which includes: Cisco Unified Computing System (UCS), ACI-ready Cisco 9000 Nexus switches, Cisco MDS switches, and Cisco UCS Director— with the efficiency of the IBM Storwize storage system.
Referencing the VersaStack for Data Center Design Guide, each vendor analyzed their parts of the solution and then combined the results into an overall TCO study. What were the results? Read More »
Tags: IBM, ROI, Storwize, tco, UCS, VersStack