On February 9, Cisco held a Cisco Knowledge Network (CKN) webinar hosted by John Shelnutt, Vice President, Global SP Mobility, on the topic of “Service Provider Opportunities and Strategies in IoT”. The webinar attracted nearly 200 attendees to hear the results of the thought leadership Internet-of-Things (IoT) study done by Machina Research on behalf of Cisco. The study was based on extensive interviews with Service Providers around the globe, providing insights into how SPs see their value-added role and strategies for IoT.
Here are some of the highlights from the study:
- Many leading SPs have invested in key capabilities to become “players” in IoT including:
- Support for connecting a wide range of IoT devices
- Formed alliances and developed strategic partnerships
- Established dedicated IoT business units
- Deployed Connectivity Device and Application Enablement platforms
- Targeted priority vertical markets with end-to-end services
- SPs are keenly observing and engaging in technology trends that will enable to stay ahead in IoT, including Low-Power Wide-Area (LPWA) networks, Network Function Virtualization and Software Defined Networking (NFV/SDN), and data analytics.