When the IoT Innovation Grand Challenge was announced in April 2014, I was a little concerned and apprehensive about the number and quality of submissions the contest would attract. But looking back now at the overwhelming response and the fantastic submissions, I can honestly say the IoT Challenge was a tremendous success. And it is not over yet!
The journey started in April, 2014 with only a few contest members, but it grew to a community of over 8,400 people. More than 800 submissions were received from startups all over the world and nineteen semi-finalists were announced August 1st. The nineteen semi-finalists were given an assignment to complete. The requirement was for each semi-finalist to submit a business plan along with a short video pitching their idea or solution. The judging was even more difficult this round, but our six finalists have been selected!
Announcing the IoT Innovation Grand Challenge Finalists!
I am pleased to announce the six IoT Innovation Grand Challenge Finalists:
- Waygum: waygum.io – the first End-to-End Mobile Platform for IOIT (Internet of Industrial Things)
- Energy Aware Technology: Neurio – Home Intelligence
- relayr (iThings4U GmbH): WunderBar – Internet of Things Starter-Kit for App Developers. 6 Detachable BLE Sensor Modules + Wifi + Arduino Bridge. Lower barriers to entry, and make IoT easy, fun and accessible. Easy Tools for Developers to start programming the physical world.
- Toymail: Bringing Internet of Things to Children’s Toys
- Subnero: Underwater Internet Of Things Made Possible By Underwater Network Nodes
- VIMOC Technologies: Landscape Computing: Disruptive Enabling IoT Platform for Smart Cities
Many thanks to all of the semi-finalists for their innovative ideas and participation in the contest. Rest assured, there will be more IoT Challenges in the future!
The six finalists will be invited to the 2014 Internet of Things World Forum, an exclusive annual event that will be held in Chicago, October 14-16. The finalists will have an opportunity to demonstrate their innovations on the convention show floor and pitch their ideas to the best and brightest thinkers, practitioners, and innovators in the industry. Three final winners will be announced at the IoT World Forum on center stage and will share $250,000 US in prize money that can be used to jumpstart new and existing businesses contributing to the Internet of Things industry.
Good luck to the finalists! I know we are all excited to see the most innovative products and solutions that were submitted to the IoT Innovation Grand Challenge!