By Joe Chow, Vice President, Connected Devices BU, Cisco
Our theme this year at ANGA COM 2015 in Germany is “transformation through innovation.” That’s why we thought it timely to showcase the elements we build, that get installed into consumer homes.
Almost a quarter of the world’s television households — more than 300 million, in fact — are connected, in some way, shape or form, with the Videoscape components we make. We celebrate 25 years of partnerships with over 150 service providers and media companies, representing $80 billion in revenue from content protected by our Videoscape Videoguard security solution.
- Since our first digital set-top shipped in 1997, we have surpassed 100 million video capable devices shipped worldwide.
- When viewed through the lens of actual installations, Cisco-built gear fuels 60% of the top 100 video deployments in the world.
- Total video-optimized Wi-Fi set-tops shipped to date: >8 million.
- Total IPTV set-tops shipped (including Wi-Fi set-tops): 20 million.
- Total video gateways shipped: >1 million.
- Total DOCSIS-based CPE (modems, gateways, EMTAs, etc.): >66 million.
We’re grateful to be in a position to report such milestone, as a side serving of what’s up with video and broadband lately. If nothing else, it shows the momentum and innovation the world’s video service providers bring to the overall video marketplace.
In other words: Transformation through innovation!