Cisco redefines Networking for the Audio-Video Industry
When Cisco embarked on its Intent Based Networking journey, many were a bit dubious to the idea of combining network hardware with the power of software. Like every “tectonic” shift in thinking, few saw the unique potential of a network that could continuously learn, adapt, and evolve. As we at Cisco continue to bring this vision for the modern network to life, things that once were simply “art of the possible” ideas are coming to reality.
One of the biggest challenges for IT teams has been dealing with the proliferation of non-traditional endpoints (such as AV equipment and IOT sensors) and proprietary protocols in the Enterprise network. Cisco made a conscious decision to show industry leadership on promoting open standards and creating ecosystem partners through hardware innovations such as Perpetual POE and Universal PoE to converge these non-traditional endpoints on an IP network. Open standards like AVB have enabled the transmission of audio-video over Ethernet resulting in a converged network enabling operational simplicity and cost reduction.
As a testament to our commitment to the cause of AV convergence on Ethernet networks, I am happy to announce that Cisco Catalyst Switches has joined the AVnu Alliance. Cisco’s technology leadership and position as a market leader in Enterprise Switching mean that it will play a pivotal role in the expansion of opportunities for the entire AV industry and the adoption of AVB technology.
Cisco Catalyst switches with their industry-leading Unified Access® Data Plane (UADP) ASIC were designed to meet the stringent demands of AVB technology and benefit our customers. Cisco Catalyst Switches are the First mGig and 40G switches in the Industry to be AVnu certified – enabling new connectivity speeds in a multi-tier architecture.
- Better Experience – The AVB standard improves the quality of experience by lowering jitter and latency for time-synchronized delivery of AV rendering incredible customer experience.
- Lower TCO – Allows customers to reduce cost through the convergence of existing Ethernet network infrastructure for audio, video and reduced cabling.
- Scalability – Leverages the unparalleled scale of Ethernet networks to significantly expand the reach of AV endpoints.
- Flexibility – Customers can move AV end-points based on need and device mobility becomes easier with ‘plug-and-play’ of interoperable AVB devices.
- Investment Protection – The programmable capabilities of UADP enables us to add new services without a ‘rip and replace’ of the entire infrastructure.
Intent-based Switches are fundamental to the adoption of AVB technology because of their critical role in the highly reliable delivery of low-latency, time-synchronized AV streaming services over Ethernet networks.
There is no-one better than Cisco to deliver an immersive, reliable and cost-effective AV solution while simplifying operations. The digital transformation of AV networks has never easier with open standards and integration of AVB into our intent-based Networking portfolio.
The new Era of Audio Video networks is here now!
Cisco Catalyst 9000 series switches is awarded ‘CRN’s 2017 Overall Network Product of the Year’.
Read more about Intent Based Networking.
For more details about AVB and additional resources, refer to www.cisco.com/go/avb
For more details about Catalyst Switches and additional resources, refer to www.cisco.com/go/catalyst