Public safety organizations worldwide are increasingly adopting and using secure broadband networks, supporting open standards and multivendor technologies, and using new public safety applications, while adopting new policies for bring your own device (BYOD) using Apple iOS and Google Android smartphones and tablets for their personnel.
The rate of adoption is continuing to accelerate because of the next technology trend, called the Internet of Things (IoT), which empowers public safety to make its communities and cities safer. In fact, according to recent research by Cisco Consulting Services, this represents more than $4.6 trillion in Internet of Everything (IoE) value at stake for the public sector.
The IoT is the next technology transition in which devices will allow us to sense and control the physical world by making objects smarter and connecting them through an intelligent network. IoT is about connecting the unconnected.
At APCO, Cisco and partners will demonstrate next-generation public safety solutions based on open standards, secure networks, and Internet of Things technologies and solutions providing important benefits:
- Enhanced reliability: Cisco’s IP infrastructure keeps the mission-critical network running at the most critical times.
- Cost savings: Cisco’s software solutions allow less expensive endpoints to communicate with user groups.
- Improved operations: Agencies can now communicate with voice, video, and data in open collaborative ways.
- Multiple-vendor solutions: Cisco’s software allows customers to choose between many best-in-class vendors for an entire solution.
- Solution support: Cisco offers support for the entire system, including third-party components, with a single support call.
We will showcase new solutions for next-generation instant communications using private and public networks that are now available to government and enterprise customers. Cisco’s IoT solutions support public safety, utilities, and industrial customer needs with multivendor, interoperable broadband technologies for mobility: BYOD, bring your own application (BYOA), and bring your own interface (BYOI). Cisco’s technology gives system integrators the ability to connect different systems that unify P25, LTE, and public safety broadband technologies easily and affordably.
In the Cisco booth we will be demonstrating our newest IPICS software solution, which includes a software development kit (SDK) that enables application developers to embed Cisco’s push-to-talk technology into their applications. Cisco will highlight the Quantum Virtualized Packet Core is a software application that routes data over LTE networks. The Cisco Quantum™ Virtualized Packet Core (QvPC) is one of the industry’s first commercial virtualized evolved packet cores, the new Cisco Quantum Virtualized Packet Core (vPC ) solution redefines the paradigm of agility for service providers.
Also visit the following Cisco ecosystem partners:
- Cisco and Etherstack, booth 461: Cisco and Etherstack will demonstrate multivendor, P25, and LTE open standards Internet of Things solutions for public safety.
- Tait Communications, booth 1719: Tait and Cisco have demonstrated and tested P25, digital mobile radio (DMR), and MPT-1327 integrations with Cisco IPICS.
- Raytheon, booth 1651: The Cisco and Raytheon integrated solution can interoperate among P25 radios, non-P25 radios, and communications systems other than radios.
- TeleCommunication Systems, booth 551: TCS and Cisco will demonstrate the use of Wi-Fi technology to complement standard 9-1-1 solutions for the purpose of providing indoor location information in emergency situations.
- APCO Presentation Theater, Next Generation Indoor Location, Marc Linsner, Cisco Consulting Engineer Monday, August 4th – 2:15 pm – 2:45 pm, Don’t miss the outstanding presentation on how to boost 9-1-1 efficiency with Wi-Fi Indoor Location technology to make emergency response faster and more efficient.
APCO 2014 will be held at the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center at New Orleans Center from August 3–6. Stop by booth 461 to see our demonstrations and meet Cisco executives and team members.
We look forward to seeing you there.
Cisco Internet of Things, Public Safety Team