It is but just a year since Cisco announced its acquisition of Insieme Networks and the Application Centric Infrastructure (ACI) approach for Data Center SDN deployments. The promise was to bring a simpler, highly automated and secure data center taking a policy-driven approach.
Now, with more than double the number of APIC customers, over 900 Nexus 9000 Customers, and nearly 35 Ecosystem Partners, this promise is fast becoming a reality. Nothing can be more real than customers willing to speak of their deployments and of the benefits they are beginning to derive in a tangible manner, or of ecosystem partners willing to integrate into an open architecture and indulge in joint go-to-market activities.
Today we’d like to invite you to a set of special webcasts where you can hear the perspectives of different organizations on how Application Centric Infrastructure transforms IT
1. December 9th at 8:00 AM PT, listen to the session titled “Deutsche Bank and Cisco to Host a Conference Call on Application Centric Infrastructure” with Soni Jiandani, SVP, Marketing, Insieme Business Unit at Cisco. Cisco will be joined by three customers representing E-Trade, QBranch and the University of Qatar during this conference call.
2. December 10, 2014, 1:30 – 2:30 p.m. PST: Click here to register to attend the live webcast: “Application Centric Infrastructure (ACI) Live Broadcast” with early adopter ACI customers. An online chat with ACI experts will be available for viewers.
3. January 13th2015, register for the interactive webcast “Is Your Data Center Ready for the Application Economy? Discover the Power of Application Centric Infrastructure”. Join Cisco customers from all over the world sharing the benefits they’re deriving from embracing the Cisco Nexus portfolio as well as the ACI architecture. CIOs, CTOs, Top IT practictioners and Networking Architects all get together to talk about ACI in their IT environment.
You’ll also hear from ACI Ecosystem Partners and how their solutions integrate to help customize and extend ACI deployments leveraging the open architecture, and how joint customers are benefiting from multi-vendor innovation.
Tags: ACI, SDN, webcast
By Gina Nienaber, Marketing Manager
We’ve been discussing the Evolved Programmable Network for some time now, knowing the transition from an IP NGN to an EPN is not something that will happen overnight (See EPN Blogs 1 , 2, 3). The Cisco® Evolved Programmable Network (EPN), represents an idea, an end-to-end unification of network, storage, and compute elements, and a lofty concept for existing multivendor networks to aspire to. New entrants into the communications industry are capitalizing on this period of evolution by building homogeneous end-to-end networks purpose built for SDN and NFV innovation.
One recent entrant is RST Fiber, based in North Carolina. Earlier in the year, Cisco and RST announced their 100 Gbps network deployment covering over 3000 miles throughout North Carolina with plans to Read More »
Tags: 100G, ASR9000, broadband, Cisco EPN, connectivity, high-speed, IPv6, Networks, NFV, programmable networks, RST Fiber, SDN, wireless
My final observation from my days at the London Gartner Data Center Conference is related to SDN and ease of network management – or otherwise. Hopefully this discussion will give you some ideas for good questions to ask at the Las Vegas conference, which is running as I write this.
Cisco UCS on show at the Gartner Data Center Conference
Before I start, if you are at the conference in Las Vegas, please do take time out to visit the Cisco stand #305 to find out more onCisco solutions including Unified Computing and ACI. Also take some time to say hello to our with new, exciting team members from our Metacloud acquisition – it’s fantastic to have such OpenStack and DevOps expertise in particular part of the Cisco team.
To catch up on my earlier questions, see my part 1 and part 2 blogs – questions you can ask at any SDN conference or of any vendor, since this blog series is not just about the Gartner conference. Now on to more SDN questions to ask ….
Read More »
Tags: ACI, API, Cisco UCS, cisco_services, network_management, nms, SDN
The London Eye
As I mentioned in yesterday’s blog, last week I attended the Gartner Data Center Conference in London. I came out of the conference with some questions I asked and some questions I wish I had asked! So if you are attending the Gartner Data Center Conference in Las Vegas, USA, this week, here are some suggested questions you can ask in the SDN-related seminars! And if you are not at the conference, don’t worry -- feel free to ask these questions of your candidate SDN vendors (including Cisco!)
Today I’ll cover :
(4) If OpenStack is part of your SDN/NFV solution, can you help us on OpenStack?
(5) What is the best hardware server platform for NFV/virtualised workloads?
I’ll leave question (6) on SDN and management until tomorrow -- I feel a rant coming on and I’ll need more space Again, for questions (1) -- (3), please refer to my part 1 blog.
Read More »
Tags: ACI, cisco_services, Gartner Data Center, NFV, OpenStack, SDN
When Apple Pay was announced in September this year, it brought a lot of attention to the digital payment business. But this is certainly not the first sign that we are moving rapidly towards a digital society. For example, Starbucks has been doing this for years by handling millions of mobile wallet payments every week. In fact, they took 90% of the $1.3 billion mobile payment market last year. So, what is their secret sauce of success? Their CEO boils it down to:
- Mobile payments convenience, and
- Automatic loyalty rewards
The opposite of convenience and automation is complexity. Cisco is hosting a live “Defeat IT Complexity” webcast on Tuesday December 10, 2014, to help you to achieve outstanding results with innovation and simplification.
Read More »
Tags: APIC-EM, Application Policy Infrastructure Controller Enterprise Module, automation, Catalyst Switches, convergence, IOS, IT complexity, IT simplicity, network security, SDN