Building the Foundation for the Next Wave in Mobility
We’ve come a long way since the first mobile devices hit the network. Our use of these devices has evolved beyond basic tasks such as checking email. They help us collaborate in real-time, stay healthy, directly connect with our favorite things, and even find true love.
Today, mobility is driving the future of digitization.
As mobility continues to permeate many facets of life, there will be a landslide of new connected devices beyond the smartphone and tablet — think wearables, sensors, and other “things” that we have yet to imagine. And with them, there will be an increased demand for speed and bandwidth from the network.
So how does IT prepare for the next wave in mobility? At Cisco Live San Diego, we’ll unveil new 802.11ac Wave 2 solutions that help organizations reinvent their approach to mobility. Migrating to Wave 2 offers tremendous opportunities for organizations to easily take advantage of increased wireless bandwidth and to handle the demands of many more devices at one time. Here is a sneak peek:
- Cisco Aironet 1850 Access Point: An entry-level 802.11ac Wave 2 access point that offers faster client performance — enabled in part by multi user, multi-in, multi-out (MU-MIMO) — and offload to wired network with 2GbE ports.
- Cisco 8540 Services Controller: A highly scalable and service-rich platform that supports 802.11ac Wave 2 for large campus wireless deployments. Offers up to 40Gbps of throughput and support for 6,000 access points and 64,000 clients.
- Cisco 5520 Services Controller: Supports 802.11ac Wave 2 for medium-sized to large campus wireless deployments, offering up to 20Gbps of throughput and scalability for 1500 access points and 20,000 clients.
Designed to handle the tsunami of new traffic demands from the next wave of connected devices and increased use of media-rich applications such as video streaming, the network backbone remains a critical part of an organization’s infrastructure. In addition to extending our Wave 2 portfolio to the access point, we’re unveiling new additions to our Catalyst switching family:
- Cisco Catalyst 6840-X Series Switch: Future-proofed for ever-increasing network traffic with next-generation fixed backbone. Based on the Catalyst 6K DNA, offers smart and simple network operations, support for high-bandwidth with up to 2x 10G/40G uplinks, and is the smallest MPLS aggregator and Instant Access controller in the Catalyst family.
- Cisco Catalyst 3850 10G Series Switch: Future-proofed for ever-increasing network traffic with 1RU fixed aggregation that features a programmable data plane, enabling the deployment of software-defined networking services. Supports high-bandwidth with 10G downlinks and 10G/40G uplinks.
The future of mobility doesn’t need to be complex. With our expanding 802.11ac Wave 2 portfolio from the access point to the network backbone, we want to help our customers build a foundation that keeps their mobility strategy agile and simple, and ready to handle what the next wave in mobility brings us.
Stay tuned for more at Cisco Live.
Meanwhile, tweet us @Cisco_Mobility if you have any questions.Tags: