Mobile is a fast-changing industry! Every year there are new devices, new technologies, and trends.
China is one of the fastest growing mobile markets in the world with:
- 1.2 billion mobile connections and growing.
- The number of 3G mobile telephone users reached 386 million in November 2013, a growth of 154 million over the same period of last year.
- Smart phones in China reached 348 million units from January to October 2013
- December 2013, China had 500 million mobile Internet users, a growth of 80.09 million compared with that at the end of 2012
The number one mobile operator in China is China Mobile with an estimated 781M subscribers as of Q1 2014. To handle such a large customer base China Mobile has become an industry leader with their vision of Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) in the quest to control operational costs and create the network elasticity new services creation.
Just as Cisco did in the China Mobile Booth at MWC 2014, Cisco is joining China Mobile at Mobile Asia Expo (MAE) in their “Network Function Virtualization Demonstration” located in the China Mobile
Pictured above: MWC China Mobile & Cisco Virtualization Demo Team
MAE Booth June 11 -13 in Shanghai, China delivering the Cisco Quantum™ Virtualized Packet Core (Quantum vPC), with our v-MME, v-SGW, and v-PGW.
Cisco Quantum™ Virtualized Packet Core, the industry’s most complete, fully virtualized EPC (Evolved Packet Core) that works in conjunction with the new Cisco Evolved Services Platform (ESP). Quantum vPC virtualizes ALL of the capabilities of the Cisco Aggregation Services Router (ASR) 5000 Series.
“Service providers success is dependent on providing a consistent experience, agility to roll out new services and the ease at which these services can be ordered, automated, managed and delivered,” said Pankaj Patel, executive vice president and chief development officer, Cisco. “Service providers globally view virtualization not just to reduce costs but to have it work with their infrastructure to provide even greater value by means of increased agility and elasticity. As the industry leader in networking, we are not only committed to but executing on our strategy to enable our customers through this transition.”
“Virtualization is a key area of interest for China Mobile’s future network architecture. We are pleased to see Cisco move in this direction with the virtualized packet core and we are using it in demonstrations at our booth at the GSMA Mobile Asia Expo in Shanghai” – source China Mobile.
The function of the Cisco Quantum™ Virtualized Packet Core will allow China Mobile to:
- Automatically absorb expected and unexpected peaks as they occur
- Simplify the network to lower OpEx and TCO
- Use virtualization to turn capacity on and off when needed
- Deliver consistent, high-quality services to users
- Use analytics to see exactly what’s going on across their network at any time
- Make their business more agile and responsive to market dynamics
- Deploy new services faster with lower costs and far less risk
- More agile and better able to capture new revenue opportunities, including machine to machine (M2M), in the Internet of Everything and Premium Mobile Broadband