Customers across the globe and across industries are extending their enterprise network to new places – whether that’s roadways and intersections, utility grids, manufacturing lines, or even remote operations for wind farms. They are also prioritizing sustainability across their operations. But, to digitize these environments and build a greener future, they must overcome challenges, from complex connectivity needs and managing highly distributed assets through security and talent shortages.
Solving these challenges takes a new approach. What we’ve seen at Cisco is that a strong partnership between all technology teams – whether security, networking or operations – is essential. Organizations need a unified, cloud-delivered approach that brings the power of the enterprise IT network to scale and secure the industrial edge. Today, we’re announcing new innovations leveraging the cloud to accelerate operational efficiency between these teams, reduce downtime, and enhance overall safety and security.
Accelerating IT and OT success through cloud-driven automation and security convergence
Cisco IoT Operations Dashboard provides cloud-delivered OT services for industrial networks. Today we’re announcing two new cloud-based innovations in this IoT Operations Dashboard to help ensure secure operations and deliver remote access to operational devices.
- Deep visibility of connected industrial assets and your security posture: Cisco Cyber Vision is now integrated as a service in IoT Operations Dashboard. Cyber Vision delivers deep visibility into connected assets on the industrial network so that IT and OT teams can implement cybersecurity best practices. Cyber Vision automatically builds a detailed asset inventory and identifies vulnerabilities. It leverages risk scores from Cisco Kenna to then prioritize vulnerabilities for the OT teams to action. It also shares your OT asset inventory with SecureX, Cisco’s XDR platform. Security analysts now have a full inventory of both IT and OT assets to make threat investigations easier and build remediation workflows to secure the industrial environment.
- Secure equipment access to industrial assets from anywhere: Secure Equipment Access Plus is now available in IoT Operations Dashboard. Now operations teams can remotely deploy, maintain, and troubleshoot all types of assets connected to Cisco industrial routers – from equipment in roadside cabinets to controllers in hard-to-reach wind turbines. This not only helps customers increase their asset uptime, but it also reduces the need for time consuming and expensive truck rolls.
Expanding network connectivity choices for industrial use cases
As the network extends further into operational areas, we continue to expand our industrial networking portfolio to ensure customer success for a wide variety of deployment scenarios and locations.
- Secure and faster connectivity for space-constrained use cases. Our new Cisco Catalyst IE3100 Rugged Series switches are small, DIN-rail mounted, fully managed, all gigabit ethernet switches to connect robots, controllers, and more in harsh industrial, outdoor, and tight spaces, like in a cabinet. These switches run the IOS-XE operating software with built-in trust and security, are managed by Cisco DNA Center.
- Connect to more devices wirelessly. Even on the move. Our new Catalyst IW9165E Rugged Wireless Client is purpose-built to reliably connect mobile industrial assets, such as autonomous robots (AMRs) and automated guided vehicles (AGVs). It gives users flexibility as it can operate with standard Wi-Fi deployments or in a Cisco Ultra-Reliable Wireless Backhaul (Cisco URWB) infrastructure to deliver ultra-reliable connectivity with zero packet loss and seamless handoffs.
- Fiberless wireless backhaul. The new Catalyst IW9165D Heavy Duty Access Point provides wireless backhaul with built-in antennas that’s easy to deploy when fiber or cellular is not an option. External antennas can be added to support fixed and mobile use cases simultaneously.
A digitalized, resilient and reliable power system is a precondition for reaching the ambitious goals set by European Green Deal and to finally achieve a net-zero emissions society. Cisco is a key partner in our digitalization journey and its advanced industrial networking capabilities have enabled us to optimize, secure and digitalize our energy distribution networks at scale – all through a mutual understanding of the respective challenges and a common willingness to contribute for the successful transition of our energy system.
–Vincenzo Ranieri, CEO, e-distribuzione
As Siemens Gamesa is deploying a growing number of wind turbines across the world, we need innovative technologies to accelerate adoption of renewable and sustainable energy. We’re partnering with Cisco to build networking solutions for our turbines so we can automate deployments, support harsh environmental conditions, handle complex power-grid specificities, and even deliver mobile wireless connectivity where cellular is not an option. Cisco solutions are helping us converge IT and OT, better handle complex operational constraints, and address ever increasing regulatory and cybersecurity requirements.
–Jan Holmberg Jakobsen, Team Lead for OT Network Development, Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy A/S
Network Rail own, repair, and develop Britain’s railway infrastructure. It’s our role to run a safe, reliable, and efficient railway to get people and goods where they need to be. Operational data and analytics are becoming increasingly important for us in driving efficiencies and improving our services. Platforms such as the new IE3100 will allow us to securely deploy sensor and analytics services at the trackside to help us reach key goals.
–Brian Hatfield, Director of Telecom Services, Network Rail
Collectively these innovations accelerate a strong partnership between IT and OT teams – helping organizations simplify IT for distributed networks, securely connect their IoT operations at scale, and experience significant gains in productivity and efficiency.
- Register for our customer Webinar: New innovations to simplify IT for industrial networks
- IoT Operations Dashboard
- Cyber Vision & IoT Operations Dashboard At-A-Glance
- Catalyst IE3100 Rugged Series
- Catalyst IW9165E Rugged Series
- Catalyst IW9165D Heavy Duty Series
CONNECT WITH CISCO