Cloud Unfiltered Podcast, Episode 08: Joe Weinman
What comes to mind when you hear the term “digital transformation”? Do you get excited about the possibilities? Impatient for the budget to pursue your vision?
Or do you have a more muted response? Something between annoyance at the thought that you need to do research on the topic, and anxiety that it’s moving forward so quickly and you may already be lagging behind?
My guess is that the majority of us fall into that second category. Without a complete understanding of the technology behind these concepts (or an extraordinarily active imagination), it’s hard to envision the possibilities. So we back-burner them until they have been brought up so many times in so many different contexts that we can’t avoid them any longer.
That’s where Joe Weinman comes in. Joe is a former telecom and IT executive turned digital strategist and author,* and he is going to get you excited about digital transformation. Not so much by drowning you in the technical end of it, as by providing examples of who is using it and why it’s worth doing it yourself.
Specifically, in this episode Joe touches on how an active embrace of digital transformation:
- Has helped Nike deliver greater value to customers while creating stickier relationships
- Allowed GE to sell and maintain their aircraft engines in a way that increased safety and efficiency
- Could very well prevent healthcare providers from accidentally killing you
He also gets into some of the larger issues related to digital transformation, such as:
- The pros and cons of Net Neutrality
- How successful most companies have been so far at building out AI
- Whether it’s worth sacrificing privacy in exchange for some of the fabulous convenience that comes with the Internet of Things
See the video podcast on our YouTube page, or listen to the audio version on iTunes. And if you like what you hear, we invite you to subscribe to our channel so you don’t miss any of the other exciting podcasts we have scheduled over the next several months.
*Joe is the author of: “Digital Disciplines: Attaining Market Leadership via the Cloud, Big Data, Social, Mobile, and the Internet of Things” and “Cloudonomics: The Business Value of Cloud Computing” (Wiley, 2012).Tags: