Jump into virtual reality provision with the cloud
Virtual reality is getting a lot of play at the moment. It’s the hot topic in the gaming world and is now gaining traction in video. So how can you roll out the VR features consumers demand – quickly and at low cost?
Virtual reality is enjoying rapid growth, and it looks set to have a transformative impact on a host of industries. In fact, Computerworld reports that companies are already demonstrating VR applications for the military, healthcare, retail and other sectors.
There has been a wide range of responses to VR as a market opportunity. Some broadcasters and service providers are jumping in with confidence. Others aren’t so sure.
Why is VR gaining traction so fast?
VR is going to be a big part of the entertainment landscape over the next few years for several reasons:
- User devices are affordable. You’ll increasingly see VR headsets bundled and discounted as an add-on. Gaming platforms, mobile phones, tablets and other devices will offer them.
- It’s an immersive experience. This makes it attractive for advertisers or anyone who wants to capitalize on a highly focused audience.
- It’s easy to integrate. Content providers can use existing tools to provide a 360-degree experience and blend VR with existing content.
- It’s fun. VR provides a great experience and it’s so easy to use.
You can move into VR quickly and with confidence
If you’re among the cautious, waiting to see if VR succeeds, you need to get into the market now. Once users migrate to another platform or service, you’ll have to work harder and invest more to win them back.
There are three requirements for market participation:
- Great video content.
- Consistent, high-quality delivery of video.
- Support for a wide range of end-user headsets.
With cloud-based services, you gain:
- Agility: Delivering VR from the cloud means you can be agile and adapt to the dizzying speed of change in the VR marketplace. This includes support for the steady stream of new headsets offered by an ever-expanding mass of companies. You can leverage the speed of updates and new releases in the cloud to be on top of new technology, competitive moves and consumer-consumption models.
- Great scalability: Launch services for new VR hardware faster. Extend your footprint and reach new customers while maintaining the quality that VR demands.
- Time to market: Deliver more and higher quality video content across multiple networks. The scale and openness of the cloud means you can roll out new formats required for VR without the need for long testing procedures.
With such a clear path to VR success in your sights, it’s time to make this lucrative new service a reality. To make it great, deliver it through the cloud.
Find out more
To learn how the move to the cloud can help you accelerate your VR strategy, visit cisco.com/go/infinitevideo.Tags: