Ransomware: Are you ready?
Don’t let an attack sideline your business.
Ransomware is a lot more than the buzzword du jour. Attacks like WannaCry and Nyetya affected thousands of organizations around the world and cost billions of dollars in damages.
While data theft and other types of attacks are very destructive, ransomware takes things to the next level by literally holding your data hostage and demanding money in return. This has made it today’s most popular and lucrative cyber weapon.
Many companies have decided to pay a ransom in order to have their files restored. While this can sometimes result in a quick fix, in the end it really just empowers the cybercriminals. Worse still, data is oftentimes not even returned as promised after the ransom is paid.
Ransomware defense requires a multi-pronged approach.
While there is no silver bullet for fighting ransomware, there are many things that an organization can do to avoid falling victim to this type of attack. These include, among others:
- Educating your employees about what to look out for online so that they do not click on suspicious links or open attachments designed to deliver ransomware.
- Making sure you have an effective backup and recovery system in place.
- Regularly patching machines to reduce vulnerabilities.
- Staying on top of various malware protection mechanisms and technologies.
- Tightening up your overall security and breach response practices.
Click here for our full checklist on combating ransomware.
Beyond this checklist, we have put together a comprehensive interactive experience to help you face the ransomware challenge. The site includes various best practices, real-life examples, and product trials.
Even if you think you’ve got it covered, cybercriminals are constantly honing their craft. Perhaps you need better network visibility and segmentation? Or an improved means of blocking user access to compromised websites?
Whatever the case, be sure to stay up to date on the latest ransomware defense technology, trends, and tactics to keep your organization secure.