#CiscoChampion Radio, S5|Ep.9: Getting Published
#CiscoChampion Radio is a podcast series by technologists for technologists. In this episode, Cisco Champions Wendell Odom and Pieter-Jan Nefkens discuss Getting Published with guest Brett Bartow.
Get the Podcast
Cisco Champion Hosts
- Wendell Odom (@wendellodom), Cisco Champion member, Cisco Press Author
- Pieter-Jan Nefkens (@pjnef), Cisco Champion member, Lead Consultant
- Brett Bartow, Product Line Manager, IT Professionals Group, Pearson Education (Official Publishing Partner of Cisco Press)
- Brett Shore (@brettshore), Cisco Champion Program Management
Podcast Discussion Topics
- How to approach a publisher
- Pitfalls, best practices and keys to success for first time authors
- How many pages should an author target for a book
- What is in the publisher’s head when reading pitches
- The complexities of publishing technical content
- What should have in place before approaching a publisher
- The process leading up to signing a contract
- Tools and techniques to get your topic organized and/or solidified
- Timeline for getting a book and other formats published
- Should you self-publish
- Can you create a book out of the blog series
- How Pearson uses technical reviewers
- Benefits and drawbacks of working with co-authors
Listen in and provide us feedback, we would love to hear from you!
Cisco Champions are an elite group of technical experts who are passionate about IT and enjoy sharing their knowledge, expertise, and thoughts across the social web and with Cisco. The program has been running for over five years and has earned two industry awards as an industry best practice. Learn more about the program at http://cs.co/ciscochampion.