Back in 2014, we started DevNet, Cisco’s developer program. We knew that software, APIs, and programmability would become core to the network, and we knew that we were going to drive programmability into our products in the years ahead. There was buzz around SDN in the research community, but we knew it would only become real when the people who were building and operating the world’s most critical networks, Cisco’s partners and customers, were ready to adopt the technology. We needed to get our community of network builders and network operators trained with the skills they would need for this transformation of the network. We created DevNet to enable networkers and application developers to use the power that would be coming with programmable networks and network APIs.
We’re excited to announce that we’ve reached an important moment in Cisco’s history. DevNet now has 500,000 registered members. That’s a pretty cool milestone, but what does it mean? It means that we’ve hit critical mass with a developer community who can program the network. This marks the beginning of the network effect, or dare I call it the DevNet effect. Our 500,000 strong community is writing code that can be leveraged and shared by others. This represents a new innovation model for networking where innovation continues rapidly in networking platforms themselves, and the programmability of the platform catalyzes an entirely new level of innovation from the developer ecosystem. DevNet is creating a network innovation ecosystem that will be the hub of the next generation of applications and the next generation of business.
So, you may ask who are these 500,000 DevNet members? The DevNet community is made up of application developers and infrastructure developers, IoT developers and cloud developers, network experts and IT and devops professionals, and of course our Cisco customers and Cisco partners. It includes Cisco’s traditional and new types of partners – ISVs, system integrators, IHVs, network automation consultants, and more. Cisco’s traditional partners have been transforming by building the software capabilities to become Cisco’s new partners. DevNet developers are incredibly diverse, working in areas that span networking, data center, cloud, security, IoT, and collaboration and in every industry.
Let me give you some examples of what these developers are doing with Cisco APIs:
- Speeding up IT operations from weeks to minutes by automating their networks in the data center and enterprise with Cisco ACI and DNA Center.
- Building retail experiences that increase customer loyalty and engagement with indoor location and proximity from Cisco Meraki and Cisco CMX Aironet wireless solutions.
- Building smart cities and transportation systems by writing IoT applications and microservices that use edge computing with Cisco IOX and Cisco Kinetic.
- Orchestrating hybrid cloud applications and microservices on their compute infrastructure using CiscoUCS, Cisco ACI, and Cisco Cloud Container Platform.
- Writing business applications that embed collaboration capabilities with Cisco Webex and Telepresence.
By opening up our APIs, application developers are starting to realize that the network presents the next frontier of innovation for their applications. Cisco has the broadest portfolio in programmable networks in the industry. Modern applications can use the programmable network for better performance, security, and business insights. The boundaries between applications and the network infrastructure are changing, and that presents new opportunities for developers. That’s an exciting place to be – on the cutting edge of some of the “firsts” in network programming.
Digitizing your infrastructure makes the network a new platform for innovation. That means if you’ve had an idea of an application or solution you’d like to see on your network, you can build it with DevNet APIs, SDKs and community resources. You can learn from the DevNet community and contribute to the DevNet community. Each application gives way to another idea. That’s the DevNet Effect.
To fuel the DevNet Effect, we’re announcing two new centers for community sharing on DevNet at Cisco Live this week:
- DevNet Ecosystem Exchange makes it easy to find and share an application or solution built for Cisco platforms. Business leaders and developers alike can use this online portal to discover partner solutions that span all Cisco platforms and products. Currently, this one-stop-shop for developers contains over 1,300 solutions.
- DevNet Code Exchange gives developers a place to access and share software to quickly build next-generation applications and workflow integrations. A curated list of sample code, adaptors, tools, and SDKs available on GitHub and written by Cisco and the DevNet community, Code Exchange spans Cisco’s entire portfolio and is organized according to Cisco platform and product areas.
Ok, that all sounds great, but you’re probably wondering how you get started. As it turns out, early on we learned that the killer app for DevNet is learning. With new technologies, APIs and SDKs available for the network, IT professionals know they have to up-level their skillset to stay relevant. We offer learning tracks, coding classes and video courses for people to learn. Or try a DevNet Sandbox that lets you program a live programmable network. We also have a new home page to make it easier to find what’s new on DevNet for you to use. Or jump right in and start contributing code on Code Exchange or finding solutions on Ecosystem Exchange.
We’ve come a long way since 2014. DevNet is now a community of 500,000 developers, leveraging code and sharing code to build better solutions. But we’re just getting started. Building an app for a mobile device is one level of application development. But building a solution built around a programmable network with Cisco APIs uses the infrastructure to solve big problems. Now that we’ve made it easy to find code and resources from Cisco and the DevNet community, you’ll have more free time to create innovations that power the businesses of tomorrow. Get started at developer.cisco.com, and be one of the next 500,000 developers building the ideas that will change the world. You are the DevNet Effect.
Get started at developer.cisco.com
Best community of the networking world in my opinion.
Very welcomming people who is always open for new things and helping others. It has that playground feeling you remember from childhood
Exciting to see the growth in such a short period. This devnet community will only continue to be more valuable as companies embark on more large-scale IoT projects. It aids in the inclusivity of the partnership and ISV networks to both leverage valuable tools, resources, and build upon successful platforms, integration, and use cases.
Congratulations on building a great program that has encouraged the DevNet community to achieve the milestone of 500,000 registered users!!
Thanks for all the great tools and the incentive to code, develop, and share!
A community of users learning how to support the network of tomorrow.
Comments are closed.