This year Cisco Live offers you the ability to attend in-person or join sessions virtually. I have attended many conferences and educational events, both live and online, and I can highlight a number of benefits to attending in-person:
- Going to an event for an entire day (or days) allows you to focus. Attending sessions and participating in event activities is what you’re doing. You’re not distracted by other tasks and responsibilities.
- Communicating directly with speakers and other participants accelerates resolution to questions and/or inspires new ideas.
- Expanding your contacts and building relationships with colleagues and subject matter experts grows you support network.
Your programming skill can solve problems
Network engineers and security professionals are increasingly faced with solving tasks by writing scripts using APIs. Currently, many programming languages are used for solving various automation tasks. The most promising in terms of security, DevOps, and network automation are Golang, Python, and Rest. These languages have several attributes in common?
- Programming constructs
- Using functions/objects
- Ability to use libraries
- Loops and data types
Python, of course, as an Interpreted language. As such, it has some disadvantages compared to compiled programming languages. But these are compensated for by Pythons attributes including:
- Easy to learn the language
- Clear syntax
- Great open-source projects
- Well developed communities
- Many libraries and network automation projects
Hands-on workshops to get you started
I’ll be delivering several sessions this year at Cisco Live that will help you take your programming skills to the next level.
Automating Workflows with Webex Adaptive Cards
Tuesday, Jun 14, 3:00 PM – 3:45 PM PDT
In the workshop from the list below, attendees will learn how to create Adaptive Cards in Webex and extend their functionality to manage responsive workflows with network infrastructure. Using this feature, users can easily interact with apps and create interactions with a 3d party app.
Intro to Python
Monday, Jun 13, 9:00 AM – 9:45 AM PDT
Tuesday, Jun 14, 1:00 PM – 1:45 PM PDT
In this hands-on workshop, you’ll get introduced to the basics of the Python language and start your automation journey
Intro to REST APIs
Monday, Jun 13, 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM PDT
What’s a status code? What’s an endpoint? What’s the difference between PUT, POST, and GET? Learn about the fundamentals of REST APIs in this hands-on workshop.
To investigate programming and API, I recommend stopping by The DevNet Zone at Cisco Live US this year. There you can attend a lot of sessions and workshops.
Where can I register to attend these sessions virtually?
Register here to attend these sessions online! The Cisco Live broadcast will follow the sun to bring learning and experience to everyone.
Americas Broadcast: June 13-15
APJC Broadcast: June 14-16
EMEAR Broadcast: June 14-16
Where can I find learning resources to help me get started?
- DevNet offers you an interactive learning center to help you get started with coding and APIs
- Discover new types of applications that can be built with Cisco APIs
Sign up for the DevNet Zone Cisco Live Email News and be the first to know about special sessions and surprises whether you are attending in person or will engage with us online.
We’d love to hear what you think. Ask a question or leave a comment below.
And stay connected with Cisco DevNet on social!