This past June at Cisco LIVE! in San Diego, Cisco and DevNet were proud and excited to announce our new certification track offering courses, exams, and real-live Cisco Certs for coders and developers. You can read all about the launch in Susie Wee’s blog.
With blueprints for the DevNet associate, professional, and specialist exams now available, this post aims to shed more light on the Webex Specialist exam, and to highlight useful resources for study.
Join me on September 19 for a live webinar taking an in-depth look at the Devnet Webex certification track.
Developing Applications for Cisco Webex and Webex Devices (300-920)
There are a couple of different ways you can approach this exam:
- On its own – providing DEVNET Certified Specialist
- As the second exam (with DEVNET CORE) — providing DEVNET Certified Professional
- As part of a re-certification for your Cisco Certified CCNP
More information about DevNet certifications is available on the DevNet website.
Webex: Cloud-based collaboration solutions
Long a preeminent name in online meeting services, the Webex brand today encompasses an extensive, transformative suite of cloud-based communications and collaboration solutions.
With world-class online meeting experiences, rich and secure messaging and collaboration, powerful desktop and conference room video devices and flexible network calling capabilities, Webex is poised to delight, connect and empower your users to do what they do best: transform your business at internet speed.
A key aspect of this rich platform of services and applications is the extensive programmability and development possibilities offered via open APIs and SDKs.
DevNet is the software specialist’s go-to source for API docs, code, developer support…and just-plain inspiration, for any number of tasks you want to do with Webex:
- embed a Webex meeting link in an invitation
- code an interactive chat-bot
- integrate click-to-dial/screen-pops into your line-of-business application
- or embed secure high-quality video experiences into your customer-facing mobile apps
Now, whether you’re a seasoned software developer, a script-curious IT professional, a communication network engineer, or a student/hobbyist, the DevNet Webex Specialist certification track is a great place to start learning the basics, hone your coding chops, and prove your skills to yourself (or perhaps, your next HR recruiter!).
What does the exam cover…and how can I start learning today?
Let’s take a deeper dive into some of the exam sections:
1.0 Webex API Foundation
Some great learning labs and links to go hands-on with the basics of Webex coding:
- Introduction to Webex Teams Apps
- Understanding Webex Teams OAuth
- Devnet Express for Cloud Collaboration
- DevNet developer site for Webex Teams
Webex is all about collaboration – from one-on-one support sessions, to weekly team standups, to global company-wide events. Multiply this productivity platform by the power of automation, customization and integration by leveraging Webex APIs to schedule meetings automatically, manage your Webex users and licenses programmatically, and integrate with features like Webex recording management/playback.
Check out these resources to get up to speed with Webex Meetings programmability:
- Get free access to the Webex Meetings Sandbox
- Try this learning lab: Automate and integrate meetings with the Webex XML API
- DevNet developer site: Webex Meetings
Taking high-quality real-time collaboration beyond the browser, Webex desktop and conference room devices transform a simple meeting room into a telepresence portal to anywhere. These devices are powerful and easy to use out-of-the box, but when integrated into your line-of-business workflow applications and environmental systems they become seamless community hubs where business collaboration accelerates to web speed.
Explore these key resources to expand your Webex device coding experience:
- Introduction to xAPI
- Creating custom in-room controls and Macros
- Exploring on-board xAPI Macros
- DevNet developer site for Room Devices
Whether its persistent group messaging, sharing code snippets and spreadsheets, or intelligent chat bots interacting with users, Webex Teams provides the collaborative power of words, images, documents and instant team video securely and from any device.
Check out these resources which will help you get up to speed on programming Teams messaging capabilities:
- Automating Webex Teams (Node.js)
- Creating Chatbots for Webex Teams (Node.js)
- Devnet Express for Cloud Collaboration
- DevNet Developer Site for Webex Teams
5.0 Embedding Webex
The Webex PC, mobile, desktop and room clients are delightful and powerful, but what if you could make this power ubiquitous by embedding those rich collaboration features into custom web sites and apps?
Explore the learning materials below to understand how to embed Webex functionality into custom apps:
- Embedding a Webex Teams ‘Space Widget’ into a Web App
- Webex Teams Browser SDK and sample code
- Webex Teams Widget SDK and sample code
- Webex Developer Site for Webex for Developers
6.0 Administration and Compliance
Managing and supporting an enterprise collaboration platform can be a big job, touching hundreds or thousands of users, devices, and daily moves/adds/changes. Securing that platform, monitoring its performance/utilization and ensuring regulatory compliance are also big challenges faced by collab admins.
The good news is that Webex Meetings and Teams management APIs can help automate and integrate these tasks with your change management systems, analytics tools, and HR/workflow applications to make (most) everything seamless, predictable, and error-free.
See these resources to get up to speed on Webex management APIs:
- Webex Teams Admin APIs guide
- Webex Teams Compliance guide
- Webex Meetings XML API
- Webex Meetings NBR/Recording API
- Webex Teams Developer Site
- DevNet Webex Meetings Developer site
Watch for more in this series where you can get our take on the new certifications and our top picks for learning material! Or alternatively, reach out to us on Twitter @CiscoDevNet