Written by Sailesh Krishnamurthy, Principal Engineer
Service providers around the world are seeing an unprecedented explosion of data in their networks. This explosion is characterized by the “Three Vs” (volume, variety and velocity) that are the typical hallmarks of challenging data problems. The service providers that embrace these problems creatively stand to unlock enormous monetization opportunities. The good news is that service providers are uniquely positioned to correlate and analyze data from across the ecosystem (client, network and cloud).
This blog post will describe some of these analytics opportunities. In my next post, I’ll discuss Cisco’s strategic plans to help service providers in this process with Cisco Prime Analytics.
The data explosion in service provider networks is extremely diverse (“Variety”) and comes from various sources including:
- Mobile Data. Location, presence, devices and customers.
- Video Growth. Projected to be 65% of mobile and 90% of fixed traffic by 2015.
- Machine-2-Machine (M2M): 225 M2M connections by 2014— from vending machines and ATMs to connected vehicles.
- Commerce. Mobile payment platforms and local offers.
- Smart Networks. Capable of bandwidth optimization, content placement, SDN, and more.
- Social Media. Consumer behavior, targeted advertisements.
- Cloud (XaaS). All data moving to the cloud leading to more app-cloud interactions.
Unlike other players (manufacturers, content/service/app providers), service providers are Read More »