Medianet – Horizontal & Vertical integration
Medianet is the architecture for video. The architecture has two very simple concepts:
- Build capabilities around services that run across the infrastructure in order to deliver consistent experience.
- Build intelligence into the network
The former we term horizontal integration and the latter vertical integration.
Figure 1: Medianet Architecture
There are endpoints of all sizes that communicate with each other in many different ways. Interoperability among the different endpoints is a key objective. These endpoints rely on certain capabilities such as call setup, transcoding or recording. Endpoint and infrastructure components can be shared by multiple applications. By putting these capabilities in a video infrastructure layer and building a set of common media services, you will ultimately be able to deliver video services on demand, anytime, anywhere on any device. You can also tie these services to end users with common directory capabilities so that users, not devices, receive certain services based on certain policies. Horizontal integration is about working together across the portfolio.
Vertical integration is about working together across the network by closely integrating the network and applications/endpoints. Applications are able to draw on intelligent network services to meet their quality, security, scalability, mobility and other virtual services requirements. The network is able to provide an individualized service to applications/endpoints such that network resources are allocated in line with what is important to the business. This “smart” endpoint/application includes embedded intelligence, works in conjunction with the “smart” network for:
- Optimal quality of experience –network becomes media aware and applies the appropriate policies. For media content to be effective it needs to allow for personalization, be easy to use and the quality of experience needs to be at the best possible
- Quick problem isolation & better visibility – advanced troubleshooting and management tools to reduce total costs of ownership.
- plug & play experience – endpoints can self install, automatically discover & register to its application server. Simplicity, automatic deployment and self-serve mechanisms all reduce the operations workload and lead to fast turn-around times.
Learn more: http://www.cisco.com/go/medianetTags: