ASIS 2013 – Dallas Area Rapid Transit Moves Safety and Security Forward with Cisco
In a surprising twist, more “things” are connecting to the Internet than people. At the current pace of connectivity, Cisco predicts some 25 billion devices will be connected by 2015, and 50 billion by 2020.
The Internet of Things (IoT) presents an exciting opportunity to push connected safety and security forward through video protection, IP cameras and incident response solutions. Today, furthering IoT innovations, Cisco announced enhancements to its lineup of safety and security solutions and new IoT enabled solutions that ease management of millions of connected cameras and devices.
Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) transports 225,000 daily/104 Million annual passengers throughout Dallas and 12 suburbs. The DART Police department is responsible for protecting DART passengers and facilities (in a 700 square mile area). To best improve and ensure the safety of passengers in a highly traficked open environment, DART turned to Cisco.
DART deployed approximately 1700 Cisco Medianet IP Cameras within 58 Light Rail Train Stations with future plans for parking lots and other areas. Leveraging IoT technologies, the Cisco Video Surveillance Manager 7 and Cisco Medianet IP Cameras are able ot provide DART a secure, scalable video protection solution to meet DART’s needs.
“Cisco VSM 7 and Cisco Medianet enabled IP cameras give us the ability to easily use video surveillance technologies for public safety across all of our DART locations to help keep passengers safe and achieve efficient operations.”
– Charles Byrd, manager, Public Safety Technologies, Dallas Area Rapid Transit
Leveraging Cisco’s Physical Security solutions, DART has been able to:
- Improve the management of DART Police and operations
- Deliver more intelligence to operations teams, increasing their productivity
- Achieve situational awareness for centralized video monitoring
- Accomodate immense scalibility, accomodating a 1700+ camera deployment
- Connect mobile and fixed mobile platforms: busses and fleets
- Achieve more efficient operations using video search capabilities and side-by-side live and recorded video monitoring
- Gain a five star services rating
Learn more about how Cisco and DART are moving safety and security forward through IoT, and if attending ASIS, stop by our booth #2134 to see the solutions in action!
- Video: DART Discusses Connected Safety & Security
- Cisco Physical Security Solutions
- The Internet of Things (IoT)
- Cisco Video Surveillance Manager
- Cisco Medianet Architecture