The Evolving Video Landscape
As we approach the start of NAB 2012, I am struck by how much has changed in a year. What was vision 12 months ago is reality today. TV Everywhere is reaching the mainstream and consumer demand on continues to grow at a breathtaking place. Media companies and service providers who are enabling this transition are wrestling with questions about how to manage, monetize, secure, process, and deliver quality experiences.
Amidst the growth some underlying trends reveal current consumer preferences – compiling information from more than 10 billion video views shows that 60 percent of mobile videos consumed are done using an iPhone and iPod, while the iPad alone accounted for 20 percent of video consumption. Add it all together and 80 percent of all mobile video is viewed using an iOS device. Keep in mind the iPad was first released in 2010! We believe the multiple device phenomenon will diversify – the number tells the tale.
The Cisco Video Networking Index (VNI) is forecasting a 4X growth in IP traffic of which 90%+ of will be generated by video by 2015. On the device side, the forecast is for 16.8 billion video-enabled devices by 2015! Internet video climbed to a lofty 431.8 billion views in 2011, an increase of 43.2% from 2010, delivering 21.2 billion hours of self-selected, personal preference content to users.
On the mobile side we are seeing video traffic is forecasted to double between 2011 and 2016. Hold on because by 2016, traffic generated by tablets will be nearly 2 times more than total global mobile data in 2011. Need more numbers? Consider this, by 2016, nearly three-fourths (71%) of the world’s mobile data traffic will be video.
The year to come promises to be just as fast paced as the previous. Cisco is committed to helping media companies and service providers address key challenges the growth brings: How to better and more cost effectively transport live events? How to turn viewers into fans? How to better monetize the newly emerging video services and newly emerging business models?
Please stop by the Cisco Booth # SU7408 (South Upper) to see what we have been up to or follow us on Twitter @CiscoSPVideo for the latest updates and announcements.
Hope to see you soon at NAB!Tags: