Observations from ITU World Telecom 2011
The week of October 24 in Geneva was quite busy for the Cisco team, commencing with my participation at the Third CTO Meeting, October 25 2011.
At ITU World Telecom, Geneva Oct 24-27:
- Over 6,500 top-level participants onsite including Heads of State and Government, Ministers, city mayors, industry CEOs and technology gurus, along with hundreds of thousands of participants from around the world interacting in real-time via webcasts and twitter streams
- 332 global leaders participating in the Broadband Leadership Summit
- 34 of the world’s major ICT names participating in the event as key partners
- 251 influential speakers from 64 countries took part in the multi-streamed conference agenda
- 237 companies from 41 countries on the show floors
- 10,000 students from schools across the globe, who shared their work with 150,000 of their classmates across five continents.
- Photos: www.itu.int/net/pressoffice/photolibrary/display.aspx?event=210&ple=210&k=&d=&t=&id=
- View full event photo here
ITU Broadband Commission Leadership and call to world leaders: http://www.broadbandcommission.org/Documents/Broadband_Challenge.pdf
Cisco’s leadership at the World Telecom was quite prominent as follows:
- Wim Elfrink’s Panel: http://world2011.itu.int/digital-city-way-working-and-living
- RM Pepper’s Panel: http://world2011.itu.int/connected-move—mobile-broadband
- Edzard Overbeek Panel: http://world2011.itu.int/climate-change
- Hosein Badran Technical Symposium: http://world2011.itu.int/sites/default/files/Technical_Symposium_Programme.pdf
- Monique Morrow: http://world2011.itu.int/girls-ict
Session was chaired by Brahima Sanou Director, ITU Telecommunication Development Bureau
*There were more attendees at this session than at the Internet of Things Session including:
Former US FCC Commissioner Deborah Taylor Tate called out the program that
she and actress Geena Davis are engaged in regarding Gender and Media:
Please keep an eye out for the next blog on the Girls in ICT Portal ITU will go live 11.11.2011. Susan Schoor ITU BDT Regulatory and Market Environment Division, extended a warm thanks to the panelists.
The next ITU Telecom World event will be held in Dubai, UAE, in Q4 of 2012.