Open MPI v1.5.4 released
We released Open MPI v1.5.4 last week. Woo hoo!
I can’t exactly predict the future, but I anticipate having one more release before transitioning it to 1.6 (i.e., transitioning it from a “feature” release series to a “stable” release series where only bug fixes will be applied).
The v1.5 series is actually progressing quite nicely towards v1.6. It has gotten a lot of run time on real-world machines in production environments, and many bugs have shaken out. And there are many new, shiny toys on our development trunk that are slated for v1.7 (i.e., they won’t go into the v1.5/v1.6 series).
Below is a list of all the changes in the v1.5 series:
- Add support for the (as yet unreleased) Mellanox MXM transport.
- Add support for dynamic service levels (SLs) in the openib BTL.
- Fixed C++ bindings cosmetic/warnings issue with MPI::Comm::NULL_COPY_FN and MPI::Comm::NULL_DELETE_FN. Thanks to Júlio Hoffimann for identifying the issues.
- Also allow the word “slots” in rankfiles (i.e., not just “slot”). (** also to appear in 1.4.4)
- Add Mellanox ConnectX 3 device IDs to the openib BTL defaults. (** also to appear in 1.4.4)
- Various FCA updates.
- Fix 32 bit SIGBUS errors on Solaris SPARC platforms.
- Add missing ARM assembly code files.
- Update to allow more than 128 entries in an appfile. (** also to appear in 1.4.4)
- Various VT updates and bug fixes.
- Update description of btl_openib_cq_size to be more accurate. (** also to appear in 1.4.4)
- Various assembly “clobber” fixes.
- Fix a hang in carto selection in obscure situations.
- Guard the inclusion of execinfo.h since not all platforms have it. Thanks to Aleksej Saushev for identifying this issue. (** also to appear in 1.4.4)
- Support Solaris legacy munmap prototype changes. (** also to appear in 1.4.4)
- Updated to Automake 1.11.1 per http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/devel/2011/07/9492.php.
- Fix compilation of LSF support.
- Update MPI_Comm_spawn_multiple.3 man page to reflect what it actually does.
- Fix for possible corruption of the environment. Thanks to Peter Thompson for the suggestion. (** also to appear in 1.4.4)
- Enable use of PSM on direct-launch SLURM jobs.
- Update paffinity hwloc to v1.2, and to fix minor bugs affinity assignment bugs on PPC64/Linux platforms.
- Let the openib BTL auto-detect its bandwidth.
- Support new MPI-2.2 datatypes.
- Updates to support more datatypes in MPI one-sided communication.
- Fix recursive locking bug when MPI-IO was used with MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE. (** also to appear in 1.4.4)
- Fix mpirun handling of prefix conflicts.
- Ensure mpirun’s –xterm options leaves sessions attached. (** also to appear in 1.4.4)
- Fixed type of sendcounts and displs in the “use mpi” F90 module. ABI is preserved, but applications may well be broken. See the README for more details. Thanks to Stanislav Sazykin for identifying the issue. (** also to appear in 1.4.4)
- Fix indexed datatype leaks. Thanks to Pascal Deveze for supplying the initial patch. (** also to appear in 1.4.4)
- Fix debugger mapping when mpirun’s -npernode option is used.
- Fixed support for configure’s –disable-dlopen option when used with “make distclean”.
- Fix segv associated with MPI_Comm_create with MPI_GROUP_EMPTY. Thanks to Dominik Goeddeke for finding this. (** also to appear in 1.4.4)
- Improved LoadLeveler ORTE support.
- Add new WindVerbs BTL plugin, supporting native OpenFabrics verbs on Windows (the “wv” BTL).
- Add new btl_openib_gid_index MCA parameter to allow selecting which GID to use on an OpenFabrics device’s GID table.
- Add support for PCI relaxed ordering in the OpenFabrics BTL (when available).
- Update rsh logic to allow correct SGE operation.
- Ensure that the mca_paffinity_alone MCA parameter only appears once in the ompi_info output. Thanks to Gus Correa for identifying the issue.
- Fixed return codes from MPI_PROBE and MPI_IPROBE. (** also to appear in 1.4.4)
- Remove –enable-progress-thread configure option; it doesn’t work on the v1.5 branch. Rename –enable-mpi-threads to –enable-mpi-thread-multiple. Add new –enable-opal-multi-threads option.
- Updates for Intel Fortran compiler version 12.
- Remove bproc support. Farewell bproc!
- If something goes wrong during MPI_INIT, fix the error message to say that it’s illegal to invoke MPI_INIT before MPI_INIT.