Reset Your Sales Focus to Gain the Biggest Returns
Most sales professionals hit the ground running every work day, focused on meeting with customers and prospects, doing what we can to move deals forward, and completing a multitude of other tasks necessary to get the job done. Often the weeks fly by without the chance to step back to take a breath and look at the bigger picture. But one of the most impactful things you can do for your business is to take the time to re-establish priorities and objectives for the coming year. Most larger companies have formal planning processes but smaller businesses and individuals often neglect this aspect of their business.
For most sales people, their focus and priorities are governed by their employer’s objectives. This works well for setting annual sales goals and associated job duties. But the business climate is changing at an astoundingly fast pace. Companies and individuals who don’t keep their finger on the pulse of industry changes miss the opportunity to stay in front of the competition. This translates to lost sales and credibility gaps with customers.
Looking for ways to reenergize your sales focus and stay on top of trends? Follow these tips:
- At least once a quarter, meet with your sales team to share insights on any new trends, concerns or opportunities you are seeing in your market over and above the day to day operational focus.
- Make sure you subscribe to at least two trade magazines, BLOGS or RSS feeds to keep up industry changes and announcements.
- Schedule time on your weekly calendar to actually read the magazines, BLOGS and feeds.
- Make a mental point to share your insights with customers and business partners to heighten your credibility as a go-to expert.
- Network with peers and new prospects on an ongoing basis. Networking is one of the most effective ways to find prospects and keep up to date with your local market.
- Attend at least one tradeshow or industry specific training event annually to maximize your exposure and keep up with new learnings.
Use these tips to reset your professional area of focus at least twice during the year. Gaining these new perspectives regularly gives you a fresh new springboard to launch your business each time you reset. These renewed energy levels are contagious and have a huge impact on customers’ perceptions of you, your business and the industry.
At Cisco, one of the key avenues we use to ignite excitement is at our annual Cisco Partner Summit which happened the week of April 27th in Montreal, Canada. Partner Summit allows Cisco to share insights on industry trends and create excitement about opportunities we see in the market for the coming year. There is a tremendous amount of energy created during these events. Click here to view the recording of the Partner Plus session at this year’s Partner Summit with John Donovan, our VP of Global Virtual Sales, and Julie Hens, VP of Global Distribution, sharing their key takeaways for the midmarket.
Equally important is our ongoing effort to share industry knowledge and best practices. Cisco Partner Plus partners are experiencing incredible results by leveraging all the benefits at their disposal. Click on the links below to see a few examples of Partner Plus success:
3D Networks, Singapore:
Another way we keep our partners on top of their game is through our new Partner Plus Live webcasts. This quarterly event, starting May 2015, is an opportunity for partners to hear directly from Cisco executives, gain insights around new market trends and get first hand access to information on upcoming products and services. Click here to view the latest recording of Cisco Partner Plus Live.