Cisco Partner Weekly Rewind – May 31, 2013
Every Friday, we’ll highlight the most important Cisco partner news and stories of the week, as well as point you to important Cisco-related content you may have missed along the way. Let’s have it.
Off The Top
It’s time for the big show! Today is the last business day before Cisco Partner Summit kicks off in Boston next week, and by now, you’ve heard plenty of information about how to follow Partner Summit using social media, what our executives are thinking, and even what some members our global press and analyst community are interested in.
Be sure to register for Virtual Partner Summit if you won’t be attending live, and no matter how you’re engaging, make sure you stay in the conversation. Use hashtag #ciscops13 early and often.
In case you missed it, we also asked a number of your Cisco partners peers about the importance of Partner Summit and what they’re looking forward to from this year’s program. Check out what they have to say.
Here Come Our Partner Ambassadors
Earlier this week, we announced this year’s roster of Partner Ambassadors – Cisco partners from all over the world who will be sharing their impressions of Partner Summit via their own social media. Click through to find out where you can read all of their content, from pre-event blogs to live Tweeting and Facebook posts. And here are all of their relevant Twitter handles in one place.
We’d like to thank Compugen, Comstor, Dimension Data, Fast Lane, Iron Bow, Logicalis, Presidio, 2Ring, Varrow and World Wide Technology for joining us this year!
Movers and Shakers
Here at Cisco and definitely in the Worldwide Partner Organization (WWPO), we pride ourselves on the depth of our executive team. So it’s always exciting when one of our own moves on to an exciting new opportunity, and this month that’s the case with Scott Brown, the new Vice President of the APJC Partner Business Group.
Scott is a 17-year Cisco veteran and most recently led Cisco’s Worldwide Distribution business within the WWPO. In his new role, he will be responsible for building and evolving Cisco’s partner team in the across the APJC region. He’ll report to Jaime Valles, Cisco Senior Vice president, AJPC, and also be aligned to the WWPO as a member of Senior Vice President, WWPO Bruce Klein’s leadership team.
“Scott’s ability to lead a complex business, while driving the right amount of change to transform an organization is exactly what we need in APJC and the Worldwide Partner Organization,” wrote Bruce and Jaime in a blog post earlier today.
ScanSource Expands With Cisco
It’s a big week in Cisco distributor news, not least with the announcement that ScanSource is dramatically expanding the reach and scope of its Cisco business. Now housed in ScanSource’s Catalyst business unit, the distributor’s Cisco practice will include Cisco networking and collaboration products and it will be able to service Cisco resellers, many for the first time, with a range of training, quoting and enablement resources.
“This is part of Cisco’s increasing expansion into the midmarket space. We are investing heavily there,” Richard McLeod, senior director of Cisco’s Worldwide Collaboration Channel Sales, told CRN this week. “The market seems to be embracing our portfolio and we are excited to have ScanSource and their partner networkhelp us continue that growth.”
JouleX On Board
Cisco continues to buy, build and partner as it relates to our ongoing growth and expansion. Earlier this week, Hilton Romanski talked a little about our latest M&A target: JouleX, and why the company’s enterprise IT energy management solutions fit right in with Cisco’s innovation framework.
Cisco’s Server Share
Cisco’s ongoing growth in the server market behind the Unified Computing System has been a great story for both us and our partners. Several analysts, including Gartner, issued their Q1 2013 numbers on server market share earlier this month, and several media outlets, including CRN, took note of Cisco’s continued gains.
Highlights from around Cisco this week:
- David Deans previews the US Ignite Application Summit
- Brian Jeffries updates on Cisco’s software licensing and automation improvements
- Cisco Fellow Mark Townsley tackles de-mystifying IPv6
- Thomas Barnett Jr. offers takeaways from Cisco’s updated VNI Forecast
- Chris Osika looks at why BYOD spells opportunity for service providers
- Barbara Casey discusses why not all telehealth markets are created equal
- Guest blogger Jack Norris talks about big returns from Big Data using operational intelligence
- Carlos Dominguez talks up collaboration in the “new age of convergence”
- Monique Morrow continues her series on how to secure the Internet of Everything
Keep An Eye Out
- Still on the fence about Virtual Partner Summit? Well, take our tour to learn more. You’ll love it!
- Upcoming Webcast: Cisco Evolves Industry-Leading Unified Fabric Solutions, taking place on June 19. Learn more here
- Reminder: Archived content from last month’s Cisco Marketing Velocity event in Cannes is now available
- Take a look at Cisco Partner Event calendar for the latest news and information on Cisco partner gatherings