The Social Soap Box: Social Networks and Privacy
With all of the buzz in the social web the last couple weeks around privacy and user data (Facebook in particular), we thought it would be timely to conduct an informal, unscientific poll of our Cisco Systems Facebook fans and have them weigh in on the debate. Thus far, 56 percent of the respondents agreed with the new privacy settings on Facebook while the other 44 percent didn’t. What do you think? Is there really a need for a ‘Quit Facebook Day’ movement on May 31st? Are people going too far? I turned to my friend and Co-Editor of Mashable, Ben Parr for his more expert opinion on what will happen on May 31st and his more philosophical view on privacy in general during a quick interview with my Cisco Flip.
“I’ve seen this type of protest over and over… Not much will happen. It will be a blip on the radar.”
If Ben is right (which I think he is), we can all return to some level of normalcy in our social web life on Memorial Day. Even if the privacy debate is here to stay, isn’t it great to know that social networking sites such as Facebook, has enabled us to share information and our opinions in ways that we could never imagined even a decade ago? If you want to share your thoughts, join the conversation on our Facebook page.