On the Threshold of the Zettabyte Era
Just how rapidly is Internet usage growing? Consider this:
- Total global Internet traffic will quadruple by 2015, reaching 966 exabytes per year, nearly a zettabyte.
- By 2015, the traffic equivalent of all the movies ever made will cross the Internet every 5 minutes.
- In 2015, one million minutes of video content will cross the global network every second.
These “wow!”-inspiring data bits come to you courtesy of the just-released “Cisco Visual Networking Index Forecast, 2010-2015.”
We are indeed on the threshold of the “Zettabyte Era.” And the implications are significant:
- A strong and increasing need to migrate to IPv6 systems and next-generation Internet capabilities.
- 4G adoption may happen faster as mobile users demand services and content similar to fixed service.
- IP networks must be intelligent and flexible enough to support video, which will be two-thirds of fixed and mobile network traffic.
Cisco has been hard at work developing new IP network innovations to address this growth. “What innovations” you ask? Stay tuned for June 7th!