NBA Fans Point, Shoot, and Score
“In basketball – as in life – true joy comes from being fully present in each and every moment,” says former LA Lakers coach Phil Jackson, and sports fans couldn’t agree more. Today’s followers of the NBA are more present and informed, every minute of every game, than ever before.
In general, the NBA’s outreach, including its websites, mobile apps, TV, and radio broadcasting, saw dramatic increases in activity over the last year.. In 2011, about 75 petabytes of video was posted. Not surprisingly, NBA.com is now the #3 sports site on the web for video streams.
Watch, Michael Gliedman, CIO, NBA share how they are using technology to fuel their business:
The NBA has some amazing statistics that show its working:
- Videos played a total of 220 million times per month in the US alone
- 43 million individual videos viewed per month
- an average of 4 million daily visits to nba.com
- 21.4 million unique visitors to the site
- Content available to more than 200 countries and territories
- NBA TV featured more live games (96) during the regular season than any other network, and increased distribution to 55.2 million US homes.
- NBA.com set all-time records with 8 billion page views (a 33% increase over the previous year) and 2.7 billion video streams (an 133% increase over the previous year)
- NBA GameTime mobile app downloads increased by 90% compared to the previous year
To achieve these numbers, technology is integrated into the NBA’s overall business strategy and addresses their top priorities for staying connected to the fans. The network lets the NBA be, as NBA CIO Michael Gliedman says, “everywhere the fan is.”