The upcoming DistribuTECH Conference and Exhibition is set to kick-off in New Orleans on February 5th, bringing together over 13,500 global electric, gas and water utility leaders. Cisco is once again proud to be part of this important gathering of industry leaders.
For the past 30 years we have helped modernize the networks and operations of our utilities customers. Over 200 utilities now use Cisco Utility specific solutions with customers spanning the globe, from large government agencies who manage the energy supply of entire countries to smaller private companies providing renewable energies. Currently there are Cisco communication devices in over 10,000 substations in the US and almost 11 million smart meters under contract.
Today, we continue to innovate to help build the grid of the future. During this year’s event we’re showcasing several of these exciting solutions and important recent announcements including:
- A new automated approach to managing utility network security, analytics, and operations – announced earlier this week at Cisco Live Barcelona
- Next generation IoT networking platforms – a new series of rugged Catalyst switches and new rugged integrated services router – that are modular, programmable and edge enabled
- The first product certified under the recently launched Wi-SUN Field Area Network (FAN) Certification Program, the IR 509 Industrial Router, delivering on our commitment to moving the industry forward through open standards
- Cisco Validated Designs for Distribution Automation, which provides proven blueprints from Cisco and our leading partners for deploying distribution automation applications and modernizing grid infrastructure at scale
- Cisco solutions around Substation Automation, Wide Area Networks (WANs) and Field Area Networks (FANs) that can help utilities transition to the grid of the future today
All of these solutions and activities support Cisco’s understanding that modernizing infrastructure and integrating diverse energy resources are top priorities. Fundamental to this modernization of the grid is digital transformation. Utilities are digitizing – from generation to distribution to consumption. For utilities this digital disruption has the potential to overturn successful businesses and reshape markets faster than perhaps any force in history.
True digital transformation requires a new approach to the technology foundation – an architectural approach.
Think about it for a second, without a robust network in place, how can you securely and reliably access and analyze the energy, critical infrastructure operations and network data needed to achieve operational excellence? Leading utility companies are now moving to digital business models that eliminate information silos and connect machines, assets, and people across the business.
At Cisco we are seeing firsthand how our utilities customers are using Cisco intelligent networks to:
- Improve grid reliability and resilience
- Improve operational efficiency and reduce operating costs
- Achieve greater cyber and physical security and safety
- Meet regulatory requirements and achieve compliance mandates
- Maximize production, generation and availability
- Empower a mobile and productive workforce
- Offer new levels of customer experiences and care
We provide a secure, scalable foundation that enables energy companies to easily connect, monitor and control devices and applications throughout their operations to accelerate the pace of that transformation. Cisco solutions enable utilities and other critical infrastructure systems to achieve more value from their operations applying a range of technologies in a single, intelligent, platform that offers real-time security with increased control and visibility. And, we do it with Cisco’s strategic partners, validated designs, and powerful Digital Network Architecture — a flexible and open foundation which enables continuous return on investment as the Energy industry evolves.
If you are at DistribuTECH 2019, we would welcome the opportunity to talk with you about your thoughts on emerging trends in utilities and share how Cisco can provide solutions which are scalable, flexibility and security to help you transition to the grid of the future today. You can find us at Booth #12142 in the exhibit hall.