VMware Mobile Secure Desktops – built on Cisco VXI
As I was preparing for a webinar recently, some stats came across my desk reinforcing what we’ve suspected for a while, namely that employees and the organizations they belong to, are increasingly embracing a cloud workspace – one that’s mobile and deliverable on any device, and that this imperative is a reality that IT managers are wrestling with not months from now, but now.
These nuggets are certainly no surprise:
- Three of every five employees believed it was unnecessary to be in the office to be productive.
- Two of every three employees surveyed expect IT to allow them to use any device – personal or company-issued – to access corporate networks, applications, and information anywhere at any time.
- 69% of IT decision makers surveyed (by Forrester Consulting) advise that implementing a BYOD policy for smartphones/tablets is a top priority (study commissioned by Cisco, May 2012)
So it’s no wonder that Cisco and VMware brought some of their best solution-level capabilities together to accelerate and optimize how IT organizations can intercept these trends, as they embrace BYOD and desktop virtualization – see the figure below to get an idea of how it all comes together.
VMware Mobile Secure Desktop, built on the Cisco VXI Smart Solution, tackles head-on, the challenge of delivering stateless mobile desktops that address key requirements necessary to support mobile power users:
- Ensuring a pervasive, defense-in-depth approach to security, that extends physical world security policy and enforcement from endpoint to branch to data center, right down to individual virtual machines.
- Providing a rich spectrum of endpoint solutions that effectively unify virtual desktops with enterprise grade communications and collaboration apps
- A simplified, scalable data center compute infrastructure that provides consistent, predictable performance as you move from 100’s to 10’s of thousands of end-users
If you want to learn more about VMware Mobile Secure Desktop, built on Cisco VXI, I encourage you to check out the Bootcamp video (below), and continue the discussion on the VMware Community page for Mobile Secure Desktop
Next week we’re at VMworld in San Francisco. Are you going? Later this week, I’ll share some details on what you can expect from Cisco and VMware , from an end-user computing perspective.