Diving into Big Data
There’s been some activity inside Cisco around big data, particularly with regards to Hadoop running on Cisco’s Nexus switches and UCS servers. A little bit of that work is starting to surface here and there, so I thought it would be a good time to do a little post to aggregate.
- Last month, we published a solution brief with Oracle about the benefits of running Oracle NoSQL on UCS [pdf].
- This month, we published a solution brief announcing Cloudera’s certification of UCS and Nexus cluster designs for their Hadoop distribution: Cloudera Hadoop Infrastructure with Cisco UCS Servers and Cisco Nexus Switches Powered by Intel Xeon Processors [pdf].
- Sean McKeown (@sean_m_mckeown) started blogging with a series on “Why Hadoop?”. Here are part 1 and part 2. Sean covers the basics of the case for big data and Hadoop.
- Tomorrow, Jacob Rapp will be speaking at Hadoop World on “Hadoop Network and Compute Architecture Considerations“
- We just published a white paper with some very interesting data from network testing we’ve done in house called: “Big Data in the Enterprise: Network Design Considerations“. This one gets very technical very quickly, but it’s highly recommended reading for networking folks deploying big data clusters, particularly with Hadoop.
If you’re interested in what else Cisco is up to in the exploding world of big data, check out the new page we put up to pull it all together – cisco.com/go/bigdata.