IP Traffic, Devices, Users – Growth, Growth, Growth
Over the past several years, Cisco introduced and has regularly updated and expanded its Visual Networking Index (VNI), which projects IP traffic trends based upon independent analyst forecasts, usage surveys from operators and other primary research. The VNI has become a valuable resource – described by some as an “industry standard”.
Today, Cisco announced the latest edition of the VNI, covering the period 2010-2015. It includes findings such as:
- The number of network-connected devices will be more than 15 billion, twice the world’s population, by 2015.
- The total amount of global Internet traffic will quadruple by 2015 and reach 966 exabytes per year.
- The projected increase of Internet traffic between 2014 and 2015 alone is 200 exabytes, which is greater than the total amount of Internet Protocol traffic generated globally in 2010.
Global IP traffic is on the verge of reaching 1 zettabyte – which is equal to a sextillion bytes, or a trillion gigabytes. Cisco has identified four primary drivers of growth:
- An increasing number of devices: The proliferation of tablets, mobile phones, connected appliances and other smart machines is driving demand for connectivity. By 2015, there will be more than two connections for each person on earth.
- More Internet users: By 2015, there will be nearly 3 billion Internet users –more than 40 percent of the world’s projected population.
- Faster broadband speed: The average fixed broadband speed is expected to increase four-fold, from 7 megabits per second in 2010 to 28 Mbps in 2015.
- More video: By 2015, 1 million video minutes –the equivalent of 674 days –will traverse the Internet every second.
Following is a URL to a video about this new version of the VNI:
http://www.youtube.com/embed/3XAqOVD0u7k?rel=0” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>
In addition, relevant documents and information are available at http://www.cisco.com/go/vni.
If you have further questions after watching the VoD and reading the relevant information, don’t hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.