Public Sector customers continue to debate the trade-offs of prioritizing lowest price switching, point product solutions, over designing and deploying Cisco network architecture solutions which provide a lower Total Cost of Ownership (TCO).
On February 23, 2012, Deloitte Consulting presented the findings of an in-depth research study that examines the operational, financial, and risk factors associated with the use of single-vendor and multivendor approaches in different types of complex networks which may be viewed here along with the report itself.
They key findings are summarized in the following 7 items:
- Within the context of total IT spending, the use of single-vendor or multivendor architectures does not present material cost differences on a long-term basis. Initial cost savings realized in multivendor network implementations are mitigated by the incremental operating costs over the life of the equipment.
- Enterprise networks are considered critical production systems, key to business operations. Networks must be managed with an appropriate operational risk perspective.
- Customers prefer a single vendor to be responsible for all network components and services. The operational risk associated with network support, not the cost, is the primary factor when influencing the decisions to use single or multivendor architectures.
- Staffing costs are not significantly impacted by the use of multiple vendors; it is more influenced by the mix of functions supported and the types of network services provided.
- Using products from different vendors can bring down initial costs for certain products, but adds higher operating risk in service, support, and operational integration.
- The use of multiple networking vendors introduces additional operational risk based on the need for customers to assume increased risks for integration, interoperability and support.
- When using multiple vendors’ products, customers frequently do not recognize the interdependencies of functionality, long-term costs, and impact on operational risks
And be sure to watch Director of Public Sector Systems Engineering, Dave West on youtube present his version of why low-cost, ” Good Enough” Switching is not Good Enough for Public Sector Customers looking for a reliable, secure, highly available, well supported and investment protected network.
Tags: dave west, Deloitte, good enough, multi vendor, network, pollock, public sector, report, tco, video
WebEx is a great tool for conducting a web cam video conference.
The WebEx Active Talker feature pushes the video image of the person speaking so you can actually follow the conversation via web cam. This means the person talking is the one you see featured and this works especially well in Theatre Mode [watch video]
Try WebEx now absolutely free!
Read More »
Tags: high def, how to, quality, video, web cam, WebEX
Have you seen the video of the one year old child trying to use a magazine like an iPad? It makes for fascinating viewing and an indication that while today’s students consider the internet to be important in their lives, many of tomorrow’s students will not know a world without internet, particularly mobile internet.
Some schools are already tackling this mobile experience. Brisbane Girls Grammar School is a secondary school in Queensland, Australia with 1000 students. It has recognised the extent to which mobile devices, communications and technology play an integral role in business and consumer lifestyles and recently implemented a “bring your own device” strategy for students and teachers. It runs a wireless network across its campus that supports two personal devices per person — whether laptop, mobile phone or tablet — as well as school owned devices. Up to 3,000 devices are supported on the network for educational purposes at one time.
Read More »
Tags: bring your own device, Brisbane Girls Grammar School, byod, Cisco, education, K-12, mobile, network, school, student, video, wireless
As a 20-year fan of the San Antonio Spurs, I’m thrilled and honored to participate in this year’s NBA All Stars event in Orlando, Florida this weekend.
During a panel at today’s All Stars Tech Summit, we talked about the interplay of three great topics: basketball, the power of online media content, and the impressive growth of Internet data traffic.
As a major player among sports leagues, the NBA has some impressive stats of its own to brag on: Read More »
Tags: All Stars Tech Summit, Basketball, Cisco, nba, social media, video
We are very pleased to announce a new medianet release including new products that support the medianet features:
Read More »
Tags: business video, enterprise networks, medianet, rich media applications, video