You don’t need me to tell you to know that we are in the midst of a technology revolution. It’s mobilizing the internet. And it’s transforming the way billions of people around the globe collaborate, communicate, and connect to the internet.
• The education customers I work with are incorporating video and mobile applications into their curriculum with up to a 100 students in an auditorium accessing the Wi-Fi network simultaneously.
• Healthcare customers are relying on Wi-Fi to connect patients, devices and provide nurses instant access to medical records.
• Manufacturing customers are increasingly using Wi-Fi to enable workers on the factory floor to have real-time video conversations with experts anywhere in the globe.
What do these things have in common? They all depend on Wi-Fi for connectivity. In these areas, and so many more, Wi-Fi has become a central way that people access the Internet.
The FCC released a historic decision on April 1, 2014 (adopted March 31)with regards to the use of 5 GHz spectrum. Although there were many technical aspects included within this decision, one of the most interesting was making the 5150-5250 MHz U-NII 1 band available for outdoor WLAN use. Read More »
Tags: 5 GHz, access point, App, application, band, cellular, Cisco, device, FCC, GHz, healthcare, Hotspot, internet, LAN, Mhz, mobile, mobilize, network, outdoor, spectrum, technical, technology, telecommunication, u-nii, wi-fi, wi-fi alliance, wifi, wireless, wlan
The week of October 24 in Geneva was quite busy for the Cisco team, commencing with my participation at the Third CTO Meeting, October 25 2011.
At ITU World Telecom, Geneva Oct 24-27:
- Over 6,500 top-level participants onsite including Heads of State and
Government, Ministers, city mayors, industry CEOs and technology gurus,
along with hundreds of thousands of participants from around the world
interacting in real-time via webcasts and twitter streams
- 332 global leaders participating in the Broadband Leadership Summit
- 34 of the world’s major ICT names participating in the event as key
- 251 influential speakers from 64 countries took part in the multi-streamed
- 237 companies from 41 countries on the show floors
- 10,000 students from schools across the globe, who shared their work with
150,000 of their classmates across five continents.
- Photos: www.itu.int/net/pressoffice/photolibrary/display.aspx?event=210&ple=210&k=&d=&t=&id=
- View full event photo here
ITU Broadband Commission Leadership and call to world leaders: http://www.broadbandcommission.org/Documents/Broadband_Challenge.pdf
Cisco’s leadership at the World Telecom was quite prominent as follows:
Session was chaired by Brahima Sanou
Director, ITU Telecommunication Development Bureau
*There were more attendees at this session than at the Internet of Things
Former US FCC Commissioner Deborah Taylor Tate called out the program that
she and actress Geena Davis are engaged in regarding Gender and Media:
Please keep an eye out for the next blog on the Girls in ICT Portal ITU will go live 11.11.2011. Susan Schoor
Regulatory and Market
Environment Division, extended a warm thanks to the panelists.
The next ITU Telecom World event will be held in Dubai, UAE, in Q4 of 2012.
Tags: ICT, itu world telecom, Service Provider, telecommunication