It’s that time of year again! We’ll be celebrating 25 years of Cisco Live! in the our namesake city San Francisco this week in SOMA. Here’re the top 5 things for #Wireless folks to be on the lookout for:
1. World of Solutions: The WoS opens with a welcome reception at 5pm on Monday. We’re showing off our 802.11ac portfolio and latest location-based solutions in the World of Solutions. Look for us in the Enterprise Networks booth!
2. DevNet Zone: First of its kind Cisco-led developer conference in Moscone West during CiscoLive! SF. Swing by to find out about the latest Cisco API’s and SDK’s through hands-on learning labs and special developer-focused speaking sessions.
Highlight: 24 hour hackathon featuring the Mobility Services API.
Read this blog for more on why hackers, developers and designers should check out the DevNet Zone.
3. Mobility Focused Sessions. If you haven’t signed up already, make sure you check these out and add them to your list:
4. Keynotes: if you’ll be in San Francisco, you won’t want to miss the annual keynotes of Cisco Live!, including:
- John Chambers Keynote: Monday 3:30pm
- Rob Lloyd Keynote: Tuesday 10am
- Industry Keynote – IoT: Wednesday 10am
- Technology Trends Keynote – Enterprise Solutions: Wednesday 4pm
5. Customer Appreciation Event: In celebration of Cisco’s customers and 25 years of Networkers and Cisco Live conferences we will be bringing the iconic Lenny Kravitz and Imagine Dragons to the stage. We would be nothing without our customers, so we’re super excited to share this experience with you–the event is Wednesday May 21 at 7:30pm.
See you there! We’ll be keeping updates on Twitter at @Cisco_Mobility.
Tags: #CLUS, #CLUS14, Cisco, developer, moscone, san francisco, sf, technology
We are very excited to announce the beginning of our new blog series on public safety. This series will include a number of posts that examine the intersection of technology and public safety as well as identify solutions to promote greater awareness and action.
Having worked in this field for over 15 years, I am especially enthusiastic about sharing my thoughts and starting a conversation on these issues. Before leading the Cisco’s Connected Justice Solution and Public Safety Business Development team, I was a Chief of Police and dealt with all of the same issues that agencies are dealing with today. Throughout my career, I have been passionate about improving the criminal justice system as well as government and public safety. And to this end, I have worked to streamline processes, lower costs, and increase efficiencies through the use of technology while making first responders safer. Read More »
Tags: 21st Century Government, govtech, Public Safety, technology
The World energy demand will be 41% higher in 2035 with India and China accounting for half the growth.
The development of renewable energy sources ranks as a key responsibility for the top economies in the world. India, as one of the top 5 emitters of greenhouse gasses, has prioritized the development of renewable energy resources.
Read More on how this Indian agency deployed a network that promotes energy conservation below.
Read More »
Tags: Cisco, Green, innovation, midmarket, midsize business, network, renewable energy, security, small business, technology, unified communications
This is part of a series of how location services is a core part of the mobile evolution in various industries. In a previous post I looked at the growth of mobile location, data and context based advertising, and there is no doubt from the evidence that this market space is already big, and predicted to grow exponentially over the next 4 or 5 years.
While this is very interesting at a macro level, for most of us what does that really mean, what can it be used for, how can we get some value or benefits from it….
Let’s look at this from the point of view of various industries, both looking at the uses of the consumer and of the business in a practical manner.
Today we look at the Retail Industry, and ask a few questions to understand the landscape.
- How are consumers habits changing
- What are retailers doing about this
- What can we expect to see in the coming year(s)?
How are consumer habits changing?
We already know that today over two-thirds of all U.S. consumers have a smartphone (expected to be >90% in about 3 years) and the capabilities that this brings is changing the face of retail business as we know it. Specifically looking at mobile retail and advertising the patterns are undeniable, we as mobile retail consumers are doing things differently and happy to engage and be engaged in new ways.
◦ Remember the coupon cutting days…well mobile coupons are starting to become the norm…recent research among mobile users shows significant numbers redeemed mobile coupons… 41% at grocery stores, 41% at department stores, and 39% @ clothing stores (source: Business Insider 2014) Read More »
Tags: ad, advertising, App, application, business, business insider, Cisco, clothing, cmx, connected mobile experiences, consumer, content, context, coupon, customer, customize, data, device, evolution, grocery store, habit, IDC, Industry, landscape, location, location services, location-based, macro, market, mobile, navigation, offer, personalize, phone, Real Time, realtime, retail, rtls, services, show-room, show-rooming, showroom, showrooming, smartphone, store, technology, venue, wayfind, wi-fi, wifi, wireless
You don’t need me to tell you to know that we are in the midst of a technology revolution. It’s mobilizing the internet. And it’s transforming the way billions of people around the globe collaborate, communicate, and connect to the internet.
• The education customers I work with are incorporating video and mobile applications into their curriculum with up to a 100 students in an auditorium accessing the Wi-Fi network simultaneously.
• Healthcare customers are relying on Wi-Fi to connect patients, devices and provide nurses instant access to medical records.
• Manufacturing customers are increasingly using Wi-Fi to enable workers on the factory floor to have real-time video conversations with experts anywhere in the globe.
What do these things have in common? They all depend on Wi-Fi for connectivity. In these areas, and so many more, Wi-Fi has become a central way that people access the Internet.
The FCC released a historic decision on April 1, 2014 (adopted March 31)with regards to the use of 5 GHz spectrum. Although there were many technical aspects included within this decision, one of the most interesting was making the 5150-5250 MHz U-NII 1 band available for outdoor WLAN use. Read More »
Tags: 5 GHz, access point, App, application, band, cellular, Cisco, device, FCC, GHz, healthcare, Hotspot, internet, LAN, Mhz, mobile, mobilize, network, outdoor, spectrum, technical, technology, telecommunication, u-nii, wi-fi, wi-fi alliance, wifi, wireless, wlan