As an SMB, you thought there are solutions/options completely out of your range – 10 Gigabit, Virtualization, Stacking, 16TB Storage, POE+, Layer 3, etc.
If I told you you can get all of the following (an entire future-proofed feature-rich SMB network with Storage) for under $10K, what would you say?
- 16 TB Storage
- File Sharing and Backup
- Video Editing
- Storage costs – $3793 (pricing for part numbers below at CDW.com on 3/12/2014)
Amazing, isn’t it? Here’s the list of equipment that will get you there:
1x SG500X-24P – 24p Gigabit POE Stackable Switch
Tags: 10 Gig, 300 series, 500 series, SG300, SG500, smb
As the product owner, one comment I get most of all is “Wow, I had no idea Cisco had these products“. This is the case even though we ship well over 20 million switch ports delivering hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue per year in this portfolio – to customers in all geographies, markets, verticals, and customer types.
Which products are we talking about? It’s the Cisco SMB portfolio.
See what independent testing agency, Miercom, found when they compared Cisco 300 Series Switches (SG300) to other switches in the market from competitors – Miercom lab test report.
Cisco was top performer in the test in Performance, Energy Efficiency, Usability, Capacity/Scale, Feature/functionality, and was the most Economical. For further dialog around this report, see the following link for more details: Competitive dialog on the Miercom test report.
Almost identical results were found when comparing the Cisco 500 Series Switches (SG500) to other Stackable switches in the market from competitors – Results from Stackable Switch Lab Test Report.
“We were impressed with the comprehensive set of features, performance, overall power efficiency, and ease-of-use of the Cisco switches”
– Rob Smithers, CEO, Miercom (Miercom report: DR120119C)
Over this last year, here’s a small sampling of additional features Cisco has added to the 300 Series portfolio in addition to what has been tested in the Miercom lab (a free software download for customers, I might add):
- Web-based Authentication – Provides network admission control through a web browser to any host devices and operating systems
- IPv6 First Hop Security – Protection against man-in-the-middle attack, malicious or rogue devices, and IP address theft
- RA Guard
- ND Inspection
- DHCPv6 Guard
- Neighbor Binding Integrity
- UDLD – detect unidirectional links caused by incorrect wiring or cable/port faults to prevent forwarding loops and black-holing of traffic in switched networks.
- Time-based POE – time-based shutdown of ports or POE for operational cost savings
Here’s a list 100+ intelligent features many/most of which are not present in the corresponding competitive products. Read it and decide for yourself: Detailed feature differentiators post.
So more features means it costs more, right? Nope. These Cisco switches are actually just as affordable—and in many/most cases, even more affordable — than Competitive switches. See for yourself. Here’s a few examples of comparable products you can look up:
- Cisco SG300-28 versus HP 2530-24G (J9776A) – $513 versus $724
- Cisco SG300-52 versus HP 2530-48G (J9775A) – $910 versus $1,129
- Cisco SG300-28PP versus HP 2530-24G-POE+ (J9773A) – $876 versus $1,218
- Cisco SG300-52P versus HP 2530-48G-POE+ (J9772A)- $1,232 versus $2,324
(Prices collected on CDW Website on 2/20/2014)
But don’t stop there. Have a look at the features and pricing for rest of the Cisco Small Business portfolio. You will see very similar results in other parts of the portfolio as well (For example, compare Cisco SF500 switches against HP 2620 series). By the way, these Cisco switches come with a Limited Lifetime Warranty, which includes next business day (NBD) advanced replacement as part of the product – no need to purchase a separate Service contract to get this. We can only do this since we truly stand behind these products.
“Cisco has raised the bar for this product category”
Kevin Tolly, founder, The Tolly Group (See Link)
Bet you didn’t know many of these things as well. Awareness is the biggest problem for this portfolio. So, let’s change this to “Did you know Cisco had these products?”.
Tags: 300 series, 500 series, 500 series managed stackable switches, affordable, Cisco Small Business, engineering, HP, products, Proof, SG300, smb, superior, while products are more affordable
If you’re in an SMB company you might think of telepresence as a tool built for enterprise, something that would be nice to have for your small business but just out of reach. You’d be wrong.
Video conferencing solutions like Telepresence and even web-based technologies like WebEx are more affordable than ever, making them a viable option for SMBs.
Read my full article for a closer look!
Tags: #ciscochampion, collaboration, small business, smb, TelePresence
By Neeraj Kumar and Kevin Suh, Cisco Consulting Services
The small and medium sized-business (SMB) commercial-services market is important for all types of service providers (SPs). SMBs account for more than half of total U.S. commercial-services spending, according to AMR Research/Gartner. And, the portion of the U.S. SMB commercial-services market that service providers could capture is expected to grow to more than $200 billion by 2015, according to analysis by Cisco Consulting Services (CCS) and industry research analysts.
To capture this opportunity, service providers need a deeper understanding of who the SMB customers are and what they buy, as well as how they purchase these commercial services. To better understand SMBs’ detailed service delivery needs and expectations, Cisco Consulting Services (CCS), surveyed 761 U.S. SMBs with five to 1,000 employees in 2012. The study revealed that although this is a big and complex market, there are specific opportunities for SPs in cloud and advanced services.
Complex, Diverse Market, with Varying Expectations
The SMB market is complex — spanning Read More »
Tags: advanced services, Cisco, Cisco Consulting Services, cloud, commercial services, managed services, Service Provider, small and medium-size business, smb, SP
Cisco Partner Summit 2013 was an amazing event this year, and as you saw throughout the week, we had lots to tell you about the huge opportunity for partners focused on the midmarket. Partner participation was excellent both live in Boston and at Virtual Partner Summit. Together with Cisco regional leaders, we engaged with more than 1,100 partners during our VPS Dialog Sessions.
Some of the topics covered during our VPS Dialogs: Grow your Business with Cisco sessions included:
- Midmarket opportunity: 1.4 million midsize customers, $25 billion in potential product revenue and $30 billion in potential services revenue and how Cisco is helping all of our certified partners capture this opportunity.
- Enhanced Training: New SMB Specialization, SMB University and an updated Smart Business Roadmap
- New Mobile App: Cisco Engage Mobile App designed especially for Select Partners
- Business Focused Event Series: An opportunity for hands-on product demos and networking with peers
- Customer Case Studies: Developed by Cisco to promote our partners successes
- Meraki Acquisition: New cloud offering available for partners
Participating partners responded very positively to polling questions during the sessions. According to the feedback we received: Read More »
Tags: Cisco, partner, smb, strategy