The service provider (SP) industry is at an inflection point. During the past couple of years, SPs have dealt with the economic downturn by focusing the majority of their attention on cutting costs -- to the point where there’s very little left to cut. Despite continued economic uncertainty, there is a shift underway to revitalize revenue growth. SPs are eager to identify and execute on new sources of revenue growth -- however, there is also clear recognition that revenue growth cannot come at the expense of profitability. Growth under such conditions means taking advantage of market transitions as they are happening, creating new platforms for growth.
One key opportunity for SPs lies in providing a more expansive set of services to small and medium sized businesses (SMBs)—particularly leveraging cloud-based capabilities. Based on our estimates, the SMB communications and IT infrastructure market collectively represents more than $120 billion in spend for 2010. SPs currently address 60 percent of this spend. By extending into cloud services, much of the remaining 40 percent becomes addressable.
Cisco IBSG Service Provider Director, Tine Christensen, addresses this opportunity in this video:
Learn the four most common threats that put your IP phone system at risk
There’s a big story about phone hacking that has kept newspapers in the U.K. and U.S. busy over the past month. Some former reporters of a popular tabloid newspaper in the U.K. have claimed that hacking into the phones of celebrities and members of the Royal Family was rife at the paper. The publication of conversations and messages between celebrities may be fun to read, but the unauthorized interception of communications inside businesses is no laughing matter.
The security of your small business phone system is just as important as the security of your network. Consider if someone hacked into your phone system and compromised your company voicemail. What could they learn? You need to be as diligent about voice security as you are with data security, particularly if you use IP telephony.
This article is the first in a two-part series, and is based upon renowned small business expert Guy Kawasaki’s tips for small business owner Ronald Banks.Guy found that Ronald, like many small business owners, could be marketing his business more effectively online.
In years past, marketing your small business might have meant paying for radio or newspaper ads or taking a slot in the Yellow Pages.These days, small-business owners have even more options for getting the word out thanks to the explosion of online social networking.The best part is, it doesn’t take a big budget to successfully attract business.
Answering 3 key questions will help determine your video surveillance needs
I was amazed to learn that the city of London has one of the highest numbers of video surveillance cameras in use in the world. Some 10,000 is one figure I’ve read.
Perhaps the street that has the densest number of video cameras is Oxford Street, one of the city’s busiest shopping districts. In just one day, approximately 500,000 shoppers visited the retail heaven to grab some post-holiday bargains.
IP surveillance cameras can make you more productive and help your business operate more efficiently
I love doing business with small companies, such as local retailers, but the downside is that you often have to wait to be served because there are few staff members. So I was pleasantly surprised this morning when I went to my local dry cleaners to drop off some shirts.