By Uwe Lambrette, Director, IBSG Service Provider
Cloud adoption is accelerating at an impressive pace. To gain a deeper understanding of the current rate of change, and the dynamics of cloud’s evolution, the Cisco Internet Business Solutions Group (IBSG) engaged with wide-ranging groups of IT executives and decision makers—first in 2010, and then again in 2012. Our in-depth interviews focused on five industry verticals: government, manufacturing, financial services, professional services, and retail.
In our interviews, we encountered many examples of cloud implementation projects, which we call “adoption dynamics,” because they are nearly always part of the enterprise cloud adoption process. While there is no prescribed order, enterprises often begin with smaller, well-defined projects that fall into six categories:
- Consolidation of IT resources into cloud-based architectures for true cloud transformation
- Next-generation workspace
- Simple back-office business processes
- Software development
- Agile and scalable web presence
- Transformation of computer grids and analytics
Today: Different Industry Verticals Share Common Adoption Dynamics
The study Read More »
Tags: adoption, analytics, Cisco, cloud, cloud implementation, cloud transformation, cloud-based architectures, grids, IBSG, Internet Business Solutions Group, next-generation workspace, Service Provider, SP, vertical cloud adoption, vertical cloud providers, web presence
We’re 13 years into the new millennium and we still don’t have flying cars, house cleaning robot maids or refrigerators that talk back to us. Not everything predicted for our Jetson-like future came true — or maybe not as quickly as expected. Yet, that doesn’t mean it won’t happen. Our industry talked about triple play voice, video and data services for more than a decade. Today we watch videos or TV on smart phones, tablets, PCs and television sets while texting friends, playing games or surfing simultaneously on any number of devices from anywhere. Technology has a way of catching up to our vision of the future. So don’t bet against innovation.
The next big thing is the Internet of Everything (IoE). It’s one part evolution and one part revolution. Network traffic is migrating from people-to-people communication to people-to-things. The network shift to machine-to-machine (M2M) or Read More »
Tags: Cisco ONE, Cisco Open Network Environment, Internet of Everything, Service Provider, software defined network
By Mark Loesel, Cloud Solutions Marketing, Cisco
I hope that you are able to join us at Cloud Connect this week in Santa Clara as we have much to share with you. Cloud Connect is a great show that attracts more than 4,000 industry decision makers, offering an ideal venue for Cisco to share the value of our cloud solutions. Cloud Connect is an opportunity to showcase how we at Cisco are at the forefront of cloud computing, enabling our customers and partners in a world of many clouds. Whether you are building your own private cloud, using services from a public cloud, offering cloud services, or enlisting a hybrid approach, we’re here to have a conversation on how we can help.
In our booth, you’ll find demos on:
- Managing Cloud Network Services: This demo shows how a server/virtualization administrator can create a security policy once for a virtual machine and then make sure of enforcement across the network. Cisco Virtual Network Management Center will be used to show how service chaining can take place with the Cisco Nexus 1000V and virtual Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance and Cisco Virtual Security Gateway as virtual machines are turned up and move throughout the data center.
- Cloud Automation and Orchestration: Learn how to access a service portal to create a request for virtual machine(s) and provision a bare-metal server. The demo will also show how an administrator can create a service catalogue for users to leverage.
- Cloud Computing with Cisco UCS: This solution overview highlights the centralized management with high scalability of Cisco UCS to facilitate building-block entities (policies, resource pools, and templates) for rapid server provisioning.
- OpenStack API for the Cisco Nexus 1000V: Exhibit on how we integrate our Cisco Nexus 1000V with open-source hypervisors to allow for the continued evolution of advanced virtual machine networking and cloud management to provide more control, visibility, and programmability for customers.
In addition to the demos, Read More »
Tags: cloud, cloud connect, hybrid, Intelligent Automation for Cloud, InterCloud, ITaaS, Nexus 1000v, private cloud, Public Cloud, Service Provider, UCS
Topics such as Software Defined Networking and programmable networks are of great interest to many network operators these days. With that in mind we’re pleased to kick off a new series of Webcasts to help our customer learn more about Cisco’s Open Network Environment strategy.
Please join us on April 9, 2013 at 9:00 am Pacific Time / 12:00 pm Eastern Time for an educational webcast featuring Ayman Sayed, Cisco Senior Vice President of the Network Operating Systems Technology Group. As part of the Cisco Open Network Environment (ONE) educational series, this session will focus on the Cisco One Platform Kit (onePK). Speakers will talk through how this easy-to-use toolkit provides users access to the valuable data and services inside the network for development, automation and rapid service creation with Cisco’s onePK SDK.
During the hour, Cisco technology experts will join with industry leaders to discuss their experience with Cisco’s onePK. Industry experts include:
- Kamil Knotek, Chief of Research and Development, Pramacom Prague spol. s r.o.
- Brendon Whateley, Principal Solutions Architect, Starview Inc.
Subject matter experts will also be on hand to answer your questions live. Read More »
Tags: Cisco ONE, onePK, Open Network Environment, Service Provider, software defined network, webinar
A few months back we announced how Hrvatski Telekom, Croatia’s largest telecommunications company, is using a Cisco’s end-to-end solution for its advanced TeraStream cloud-enabled Internet Protocol (IP) architecture. Operated by Deutsche Telekom subsidiary Hrvatski Telekom (T-HT), it’s initially providing broadband services to residential users in the Zagreb area of Croatia.
Cisco and Deutsche Telekom have Read More »
Tags: ASR9000, Cisco, deutsche telekom, DT, Hrvatski Telekom, Ian Ferrer, IPv6, ONE, onePK, SDN, Service Provider, TeraStream