I was recently talking to an industry colleague about how incredibly focused we are, as a company, on the video marketplace. I meant it, so I was surprised to see the eyebrow-spiked reaction and their response: “How can you say that, when you just unloaded your CPE including set-top boxes, modems, etc.?”
It kind of floored me, because to me it was obvious. But I realize this is a question many may be asking. My response is this: The decision to sell our set-top, gateway, and overall CPE line to Technicolor wasn’t a separation from video. It was Cisco recognizing that for that part of our business to be at its healthiest and most productive, it was better off in an environment focused on building CPE hardware at scale – which is what Technicolor does.
Cisco is laser focused on three core tenets: Read More »
Tags: Cisco, cloud, drm, DRM solutions, IBC 2015, Infinite Home, Infinite Video, security, Service Provider, video, virtualization
Cisco Intelligent Traffic Director (ITD) is an innovative solution to bridge the performance gap between a multi-terabit switch and gigabit servers and appliances. It is a hardware based multi-terabit layer 4 load-balancing, traffic steering and clustering solution on the Nexus 5k/6k/7k/9k series of switches.
It allows customers to deploy servers and appliances from any vendor with no network or topology changes. With a few simple configuration steps on a Cisco Nexus switch, customers can create an appliance or server cluster and deploy multiple devices to scale service capacity with ease. The servers or appliances do not have to be directly connected to the Cisco Nexus switch.
ITD won the Best of Interop 2015 in Data Center Category.
With our patent pending innovative algorithms, ITD (Intelligent Traffic Director) supports IP-stickiness, resiliency, consistent hash, exclude access-list, NAT (EFT), VIP, health monitoring, sophisticated failure handling policies, N+M redundancy, IPv4, IPv6, VRF, weighted load-balancing, bi-directional flow-coherency, and IPSLA probes including DNS. There is no service module or external appliance needed. ITD provides order of magnitude CAPEX and OPEX savings for the customers. ITD is much superior than legacy solutions like PBR, WCCP, ECMP, port-channel, layer-4 load-balancer appliances.
ITD provides :
- Hardware based multi-terabit/s L3/L4 load-balancing at wire-speed.
- Zero latency load-balancing.
- CAPEX savings : No service module or external L3/L4 load-balancer needed. Every Nexus port can be used as load-balancer.
- Redirect line-rate traffic to any devices, for example web cache engines, Web Accelerator Engines (WAE), video-caches, etc.
- Capability to create clusters of devices, for example, Firewalls, Intrusion Prevention System (IPS), or Web Application Firewall (WAF), Hadoop cluster
- Resilient (like resilient ECMP), Consistent hash
- VIP based L4 load-balancing
- NAT (available for EFT/PoC). Allows non-DSR deployments.
- Weighted load-balancing
- Load-balances to large number of devices/servers
- ACL along with redirection and load balancing simultaneously.
- Bi-directional flow-coherency. Traffic from A–>B and B–>A goes to same node.
- Order of magnitude OPEX savings : reduction in configuration, and ease of deployment
- Order of magnitude CAPEX savings : Wiring, Power, Rackspace and Cost savings
- The servers/appliances don’t have to be directly connected to Nexus switch
- Monitoring the health of servers/appliances.
- N + M redundancy.
- Automatic failure handling of servers/appliances.
- VRF support, vPC support, VDC support
- Supported on all linecards of Nexus 9k/7k/6k/5k series.
- Supports both IPv4 and IPv6
- Cisco Prime DCNM Support
- exclude access-list
- No certification, integration, or qualification needed between the devices and the Cisco NX-OS switch.
- The feature does not add any load to the supervisor CPU.
- ITD uses orders of magnitude less hardware TCAM resources than WCCP.
- Handles unlimited number of flows.
- Load-balance traffic to 256 servers of 10Gbps each.
- Load-balance to cluster of Firewalls. ITD is much superior than PBR.
- Scale IPS, IDS and WAF by load-balancing to standalone devices.
- Scale the NFV solution by load-balancing to low cost VM/container based NFV.
- Scale the WAAS / WAE solution.
- Scale the VDS-TC (video-caching) solution.
- Scale the Layer-7 load-balancer, by distributing traffic to L7 LBs.
- ECMP/Port-channel cause re-hashing of flows. ITD is resilient, and doesn’t cause re-hashing on node add/delete/failure.
Documentation, slides, videos:
Email Query or feedback:email@example.com
Please note that ITD is not a replacement for Layer-7 load-balancer (URL, cookies, SSL, etc). Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org for further questions.
Connect on twitter: @samar4
Tags: #BestofInterop, #CiscoITD, #CiscoLive2015, #CLUS, ACE, ACI, ASA, ASA 1000V Cloud Firewall, best of interop, Best of Interop 2015, Best of Interop Finalist, Big Data, cache engines, Cisco, Cisco Nexus, Cisco Nexus 5600, Cisco Nexus 7000, Cisco Nexus 9000, Cisco Nexus Switches, Cisco Prime NAM, Cisco WAAS, ciscolive, citrix, cloud, Cloud Computing, container, data center, Data Center container, F5, FirePOWER, Imperva, Imperva SecureSphere WAF, innovation, interop, IPS, ITD, load balancer, Load Balancing, nexus, Nexus 7000, NFV, SDN, security, server load balancer, Service Provider, Sourcefire, video, Web Application Firewall
Guest blog by Ram , SP Infrastructure Marketing Manager
Service providers everywhere are trying to simplify their networks – moving services to the cloud that are easier to roll out, can be provisioned by the customer, and enable new business models.
Cisco’s virtual managed service (vMS) solution uses a self-service online portal to give end users a simple way to select, subscribe to and activate highly secure and scalable network services – even if the underlying network is multivendor. The VMS platform service function packages includescloud VPNs for branch, site-to-site and remote access encrypted VPNs, as well as firewall and web security, all offered as a cloud-managed IT solution on a subscription basis.
End users have access to a management dashboard on which they can track the Read More »
Tags: Cisco, cloud services, DT Telstra, EANTC, NFV, SDN, Service Provider, virtual managed service, vMS
So the Summer of 2015 is quickly coming to a close here in New England, which means Fall is coming, and the leaves will soon begin to change color with the cooler temperatures. But according to ACC Research the Mobile Infrastructure is getting hot again, and starting to grow, which is great news.
According to ACG Research since 2014 mobile operators have been shifting more of their expenditures from the RAN to the packet core and to IP backhaul to more efficiently and economically offload data traffic and deploy innovative new services. Read More »
Tags: Cisco, EPC, esp, Evolved Packet Core, evolved services platform, LTE, mobile backhaul, Mobile IP Core, mobility, MPC, packet core, Service Provider, Virtualized packet core, vPC
ITD (Intelligent Traffic Director) is getting a lot of interest about transparent (Layer 2) mode device support.
Here is a 10 minute video that shows step by step ITD deployment for Transparent mode security devices, such as Firewalls, IPS, IDS, Web application Firewalls (WAF), ASA, Cisco Sourcefire, etc:
ITD is a hardware based multi-Tbps Layer 4 load-balancing, traffic steering and clustering solution on Nexus 5k/6k/7k/9k series of switches. It supports IP-stickiness, resiliency, NAT (EFT), VIP, health monitoring, sophisticated failure handling policies, N+M redundancy, IPv4, IPv6, VRF, weighted load-balancing, bi-directional flow-coherency, and IPSLA probes including DNS. There is no service module or external appliance needed.
Solution Guide: ITD with Layer 2 Firewall / IPS / IDS
Here is more information about ITD: www.cisco.com/go/itd
Please send email to email@example.com if you have any questions.
Tags: #BestofInterop, #CiscoITD, #CiscoLive2015, #CLUS, ACI, ASA, best of interop, Best of Interop 2015, Best of Interop Finalist, Big Data, Cisco, Cisco Nexus, Cisco Nexus 5600, Cisco Nexus 7000, Cisco Nexus 9000, Cisco Nexus Switches, ciscolive, cloud, Cloud Computing, data center, innovation, interop, IPS, ITD, load balancer, nexus, Nexus 7000, NFV, SDN, security, server load balancer, Service Provider, Sourcefire, video