By Leonard Luna, Senior Marketing Manager, Cisco Service Provider Solutions
Cisco’s one-two punch for IP Optical Convergence in 2015 began with an impressive showing in March at OFC in Los Angeles, and crescendos with our annual Spring Packet Optical Networking Conference (PONC) being held May 12 -14 in Dallas TX – shaping up to be our most comprehensive and informative PONC ever.
Highlights from OFC
Day one of OFC could not have started on a higher note – Verizon announced Cisco as a key partner in the deployment of its next generation Read More »
Tags: Cisco, epn, OFC 2015, Optical Systems, Packet Optical Networking Conference, PONC, SDN, Service Provider, Verizon
ITD (Intelligent Traffic Director) has been selected in Top 3 finalists in the Best of Interop 2015 Data Center category. ITD Delivers:
- $2 Billion TAM disruptive technology: This technology innovation disrupts today’s $2 Billion TAM for load-balancers, redirection and clustering solutions
- 100x Scale improvement: The high-end load-balancers today can handle about 200Gbps traffic. ITD can load-balance 20Tbps traffic.
- 1000x cost-savings for customers: A 40Gbps L4 load-balancer costs about $200k to customers. ITD provides multi-Tbps load-balancing for a fraction of the price.
- Zero Latency: ITD performs load-balancing, redirection, NAT and access control, all in one-clock cycle in hardware, hence it introduces zero latency.
- 10x OPEX savings : Order of magnitude reduction in configuration, and ease of deployment
- Overall CAPEX savings : Wiring, Power, Rackspace and Cost savings
- 70+ customers interested in deploying within 1 month of shipping.
- 10x High availability : N + M redundancy, health-monitoring and automatic failure handling
- $15 Billion install-base can be leveraged: The technology has humongous market capture potential. It works on existing hardware. $15 Billion install-base of Nexus switches is able to use this technology.
- 30+ patentable ideas: ITD has unprecedented innovations.
Cisco ITD (Intelligent Traffic Director) is a hardware based multi-Tbps Layer 4 load balancing, traffic steering and clustering solution on Nexus 9K/7K/6K/5K series of switches. It supports IP-stickiness, resiliency, NAT, (EFT), VIP, health monitoring, sophisticated failure handling policies, N+M redundancy, IPv4, IPv6, VRF, weighted load-balancing, bi-directional flow-coherency, and IPSLA probes including DNS. There is no service module or external appliance needed.
ITD has a lot of different types of use-cases. Some of these are:
- Create a multi-Tbps Firewall
- Create a multi-Tbps Video-cache
- Firewall/IPS/IDS/WAF load-balancing.
- Web Server load-balancing
- Application server load-balancing
- Replace WCCP. Redirect and Load-balancing traffic to Web-cache, WAAS, WAE
- Traffic steering to VDS/video-cache/Professional Media Network devices
- Load-balance to Hadoop/Big-data cluster.
- load-balancing to mobile equipment
- Load-balancing to Layer 7 load-balancers
- Replace legacy features such as ECMP, port-channel, PBR, etc
Recording of the presentation
Tags: best of interop, Best of Interop 2015, Best of Interop Finalist, Big Data, Cisco, Cisco Nexus, Cisco Nexus 5600, Cisco Nexus 7000, Cisco Nexus 9000, Cisco Nexus Switches, cloud, Cloud Computing, data center, innovation, interop, load balancer, nexus, Nexus 7000, SDN, server load balancer, Service Provider, video
The world of the service provider, specifically for cable and telco providers, is becoming an ever-changing environment. Previous funding models, like USF and ConnectAmerica, are in flux. Customer demands are shifting from lower bandwidth consuming web browsing to immersive video, cloud services, the Internet of Things, and other bandwidth intensive applications. These changes, if not planned for and adapted to, can weaken service provider operations and customer satisfaction.
Developing a strong service provider business that can pace itself with these Read More »
Tags: Cisco, Service Provider
As a service provider, whether you’re a traditional “network operator” or a newly emerging operator, you are constantly re-inventing your offering to keep up with changing demands and increased competition.
Initiatives like Evolved Packet Core, VoLTE, Virtualized Managed Services, Cloud, and Software-Defined Networks are driving the need for operators to explore new business models that facilitate a rapid time to market but provide predictability and a unique customer experience.
Increasing pressure to launch these differentiated services while maintaining the balance between reducing expenses, profitability, and improving customer experience results in higher risk of failure.
Common problems faced today by service providers in launching new services include:
- Finding and retaining the right staff to support new services
- Managing the increasing workload capacity and absorbing new activities while delivering high quality
- Introducing new organizational structures and ways of working.
- Rapidly integrating new technology and tools into existing processes
So, what can service providers do to invest in new services and expand their business with the cost predictability they need?
Read More »
Tags: Cisco Managed Services, cloud, operator, Service Provider
Transforming Cisco switches into highly scalable zero latency load balancers! Cisco Intelligent Traffic Director (ITD) does exactly that and much more!
Cisco ITD has been selected as Best of Interop 2015 finalist in the Data Center Category. Finalists were chosen from nine categories including Data Center, Mobility, SDN and Cloud Technologies.
Cisco Intelligent Traffic Director (ITD) is an innovative solution to bridge the performance gap between a multi-terabit switch and gigabit servers and appliances. It is a hardware based multi-terabit layer 4 load-balancing, traffic steering and clustering solution on the Nexus 9K,7K,6K,5K series of switches. Customers do not have to buy any new hardware. It works on all the existing hardware, linecards and supervisors.
Here are some of the quotes from customers, account teams, industry analysts and architects:
“Great milestone Samar Sharma, Mouli Vytla, Rajendra Kumar Thirumurthi and team! We are very grateful for the work you guys did with pioneering and driving this new solution!”
“ITD helped us scale to 1Tbps of cache traffic in single Nexus 7700 ”
“This feature seems almost too good to be true! I am very excited about it.”
“Customers really enjoyed the time and the subject. They said it was the best presentation of the week at Cisco Live”
“Turns out we likely have a far superior solution in ITD that we can bring to the table. One of our web space principles is ‘state is the enemy of scale’ and ITD aligns very well with this mentality without sacrificing too much flexibility or control. It is still early in our conversations but we are confident that ITD will play a strategic role for scaling services”
Click to find out more! You can also visit Cisco Interop Booth at Interop Las Vegas to find out about Cisco ITD Solution!
Tags: best of interop, Best of Interop 2015, Best of Interop Finalist, Cisco, Cisco Nexus, Cisco Nexus 5600, Cisco Nexus 7000, Cisco Nexus 9000, Cisco Nexus Switches, cloud, Cloud Computing, innovation, interop, load balancer, nexus, Nexus 7000, server load balancer, Service Provider