We heard from SVP Keith Goodwin at Partner Summit that while we are helping partners move to the cloud, we are also still focusing on our core technologies, namely routing and switching. And it’s no secret that the switching market is evolving.
Have you been wondering what the real story is behind switching market share? What industry trends are shaping the next wave of networking innovation? And what is Cisco’s switching strategy?
All of these were top-of-mind questions addressed in a recent investor relations webcast—led by John McCool, SVP and GM, Data Center, Switching and Services—to discuss Cisco’s Ethernet switching business and the competitive landscape.
McCool gave investors a brief presentation, which was followed by a Q&A session. You can listen to the entire broadcast here: Tech Talk: Ethernet Switching, From the Enterprise to the Data Center.
Looking for specific information within the broadcast? Here are some time stamps that indicate where John addresses port transitions, market share trends, and more.
Read More »
Tags: data center, Enterprise, fabric, investor, john mccool, market transitions, routing, services, strategy, switching, webcast
Cisco continues on the MOVE.
At Mobile World Congress in Barcelona today, Cisco introduced MOVE (monetization, optimization, Videoscape experience) solutions that help service providers monetize and optimize mobile video.
Cisco MOVE is a strategic framework of solutions that include Cisco Mobile Videoscape™, Cisco Service Provider Wi-Fi and Cisco Adaptive Intelligent Routing (AIR). Cisco MOVE is the next phase of Cisco’s service provider mobility strategy, which enables service providers to better monetize and optimize their networks, while delivering personalized mobile services across wired and wireless networks.
In the larger view, Cisco MOVE solutions are designed to address the increasing volume of mobile data traffic — particularly video. According to the recently released Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Global Mobile Data Traffic Forecast for 2010 to 2015, two-thirds of the world’s mobile data traffic will be video by 2015. Mobile video traffic is projected to more than double every year between 2010 and 2015.
– Cisco Mobile Videoscape enables mobile operators to deliver enhanced mobile video experiences to customers through new technology on the Cisco ASR 5000 and Cisco Unified Computing System™ platforms. These platforms link the mobile network to the larger video distribution network enabled by the Cisco Content Delivery Network capabilities of Cisco Videoscape. The solution also utilizes the capabilities of the new Cisco Videoscape Media Suite to offer efficient and cost-effective content management across multiple screens.
– Cisco’s Service Provider Wi-Fi Solution is a carrier-grade solution allows service providers to efficiently utilize Wi-Fi for mobile data offload. Cisco SP WiFi with the Cisco Next Generation Hotspot technology provides standardized, seamless, highly-secure authentication enabling roaming and delivering a host of new services and mobile experiences.
– Cisco Adaptive Intelligent Routing (AIR) lowers the cost of mobile data traffic by providing service intelligence throughout the network. Extending across the Cisco ASR 1000, Cisco ASR 5000 and Cisco ASR 9000 platforms, Cisco AIR distributes and shares network and customer intelligence broadly to interact and communicate on individual traffic types, and to optimize traffic routing and handling for the best service experience at the lowest cost.
Tags: ASR_1000, ASR_5000, ASR_9000, Cisco, content_delivery_system, network_intelligence, routing, service_provider, service_provider mobility, SP, videoscape, Visual_Networking_Index, vni, wifi
Next week, I’ll be at Cisco Live in London to participate in some exciting Borderless Network activities. We will be hosting short presentations related to Borderless Networks such as Application Velocity, the new Cisco Catalyst Compact Switches, Cisco EnergyWise, and more.
We will also be kicking off the special version of the Borderless Challenge at the Borderless Challenge Theater located in the World of Solutions. The Cisco 3D Borderless Challenge is a competition that tests your knowledge of Cisco Borderless Networks innovations, especially in routing solutions. You will be able to compete with your peers for a chance to win an Apple iPad. Plus, you can take your picture with Ike and post this on our Borderless Networks Facebook wall for fun! Also, be sure to see the Global Online Borderless Challenge for a chance to win a trip to Hawaii!
Borderless 3D Challenge Show Times:
- Tuesday, February 1 – 11:00 and 16:00, 18:30, and 19:30
- Wednesday, February 2 – 10:45 and 15:45 and 18:15
Don’t forget to stop by the Borderless Networks booth to experience how Cisco Borderless Networks can transform the way that IT governs networks by linking users, devices, applications, and business processes together.
Borderless Networks Demonstrations:
- AnyConnect Secure Mobility – Learn how to provide easy and secure access on the user device of choice while enforcing consistent security policies
- Borderless Network Services – Connect people, information, and devices securely, reliably, and seamlessly with Cisco Catalyst Switches
- Borderless Energy Management – See our energy management architecture to monitor, manage, and optimize energy use with Cisco EnergyWise.
- Cisco CleanAir Technology – Learn how to enable mobile devices with enterprise-class 802.11n and wireless interference protection.
- Cisco Application Velocity Experience – Maximize user experience for any application, optimize resource utilization, and increase reliability with Cisco Application Velocity
- Secure Cloud – Learn how to increase application survivability and optimize branch infrastructure with UCS Express on ISR G2; enable cloud security with ScanSafe and Ironport
- Experience Demo – Experience how Borderless Networks can transform a retail environment, powered by: ISR, Catalyst Switches, Mobility and more.
For more information about the demos, please go to the following website. Hope to see you at the show!
Tags: Borderless Challenge, Borderless Networks, Ike, IT Willis, routing
“Innovation is the central issue in economic prosperity.” – Michael Porter
There’s been some interesting coverage this week about President Obama’s State of the Union address. And while pundits on all sides debate the ideologies as well as the details, it’s easy to agree on one of his key points – that innovation is the key to getting the economy and the country back on track.
Given the importance of innovation, isn’t it worth taking a fresh look at innovation itself? Many “innovations” such as the Declaration of Independence, the Apollo Space Program, even clever ad campaigns, were all realized by having several smart people in one place to develop ideas together. But now that’s all changed.
Read More »
Tags: Borderless Networks, branch, ISR G2, routing, Unified Computing System Express
Following on the success of the first Borderless Challenge, today Cisco launches a new contest. Running from January 25th thru February 17th, this new challenge will demonstrate how to effectively deploy cloud services and deliver high-quality video from anywhere in the network.
Register to participate and you could win a trip to Hawaii or a Flip video camera.
Here’s Marie Hattar, Vice President of Borderless Networks Marketing, to talk about this exciting new contest.
Read More »
Tags: Borderless Networks, challenge, cloud services, Ike, IT Willis, routing, video