A Day in Life of a Network Admin
A Day in Life of a Network Administrator
“Fire drills. Box-by-box management. Sometimes, it’s about searching for a needle in a haystack,” says Nick, a network administrator, as he summarizes his typical workday over our coffee break. “I’m perpetually behind,” he adds. After a few sips, Nick starts to pour out his laundry list of frustration. (And oh boy, it’s an ugly list.)
- Meetings after meetings. It never ends.
- After meetings, then comes the fire fighting: tool malfunction, virus, security breach, degrading user experience, the list goes on.
- On a good day, more than half of it is spent on configuring tools or provisioning new apps.
- On a bad day, on top of fire drills, hours are spent justifying operational simplicity and ROI to management in order to maintain an ever-decreasing IT budget.
“It would be nice,” Nick interjects, “if I could easily manage the network like that (snapping his fingers) so I have more time on strategic stuff – like enabling business innovation and driving more value for my stakeholders (his employees and customers).”
What if there was such a way? Read More »
Tags: policy based control, policy based management, SDWAN, WAN Management, wan orchestration
Earlier this Year, Cisco introduced the Cisco ASA 5506-X with FirePOWER Services. This Model should replace the successful and smallest Security Solution, the ASA 5505. Designed for the Small Business and a new era of threat and advanced malware protection Cisco ASA with FirePOWER Services delivers an integrated threat defense for the entire attack continuum. BEFORE, DURING and AFTER.
As Desktop version, the Cisco ASA 5506-X builds an easy entry for a:
- Superior Multilayered Protection
- Site-to-site and remote access VPN
- Granular Application Visibility and Control (AVC)
- Highly effective threat prevention and full contextual awareness
- Reputation- and category-based URL filtering
- AMP provides industry-leading breach detection effectiveness
- Unprecedented Network Visbility
- Reduced Costs and Complexity security Solution
Read More »
Tags: #ciscochampion, AMP, ASA, AVC, Cisco FirePOWER, cisco ips, cloud, FireSIGHT, lab, NGIPS, PBR, policy based control, Snort, Sourcefire
We’re back with an all-new season of Engineers Unplugged–more unicorns, more technology, and more selfies than even the Oscars have to offer.
Season 5 kicks off with a bang–role-based access control and policy management discussion brought to you by Nick Howell (@that1guynick) and Joe Onisick (@jonisick). What are the implications for hybrid cloud? What are the predictions for network and storage? How is this related to ACI?
Watch and learn:
Those are some well-maned unicorns, more hair than substance.
- Unicorns with lovely manes courtesy of Nick Howell and Joe Onisick
**The next shoot is at Varrow Madness, Charlotte, NC, March 20, 2014! Contact me now to become internet famous.**
This is Engineers Unplugged, where technologists talk to each other the way they know best, with a whiteboard. The rules are simple:
- Episodes will publish weekly (or as close to it as we can manage)
- Subscribe to the podcast here: engineersunplugged.com
- Follow the #engineersunplugged conversation on Twitter
- Submit ideas for episodes or volunteer to appear by Tweeting to @CommsNinja
- Practice drawing unicorns
Join the behind the scenes by liking Engineers Unplugged on Facebook.
Tags: ACI, cloud, Hybrid Cloud, management, netapp, policy based control, role based control, Storage