By Shruti Jain, Senior analyst, SP Thought Leadership
The latest Cisco Mobile Visual Networking Index (VNI) Forecast 2013-2018, highlights the following key trends:
- The number of mobile users is growing: By 2018, more than 64% of the world’s population (7.6 billion people) will be mobile users.
- The number of mobile end user devices and connections is increasing: By 2018, there will be more than 10 billion mobile-ready devices/connections--including 8 billion personal mobile devices and 2 billion M2M connections.
- The mobile networks are becoming faster: Average global mobile network speeds will nearly double from 2013 to 2018.
So what are these ever-increasing number of mobile users doing with more devices on faster connections? According to our analysis, mobile subscribers are using a variety of services ranging from text-based simple services to interactive multi-media mobile services such as video streaming and communications.
As mobile operators make significant investments to deploy higher performing next-generation technologies, they are coming up with innovative ideas to monetize these networks by creating new business models to offer customer value. An example of this innovative approach is Bharti Airtel’s One Rupee Mobile Video Service, which addresses the end-user affordability issue while Read More »
Tags: Case Study, forecast, mobile ip traffic, mobility, monetization, visual networking index, vni
26X. That’s the amount of increase in traffic the global mobile internet is going to have over a 5 year span from 2010 to 2015, as forecast by the latest iteration of the Cisco Visual Networking Index released today.
As many of you long time readers know there are few things that get me as excited as this data because:
- While we read about point announcements here or new services there, this gives context to us all and allows us to look at the “forest” vs. just the “trees”.
- Our customers really, really (is it overdoing it to say “really” again) like this data, which gives us an opportunity to showcase just one of the ways that we strive to be not just a vendor but a partner to them, and it’s always great to spend more time with them.
- The data is the result of a great team that I am proud to be a part of as well as data feeds from not just third party industry analysts whose forecasts we incorporate, but also that of contributions of over 390,000 people worldwide feeding us their unique, primary data about their network experience directly from their devices.
- I think big numbers are simply cool.
Read More »
Tags: exabyte, ip video, mobile data forecast, mobile ip traffic, research, Service Provider, visual networking index, vni