Recently my colleague Jon Stine, wrote on his blog In between the numbers – Big Changes for Stores about amount of retail square footage that is available today and the need for stores to evolve with changing consumer patterns.
This change is also reflected in shopping malls that needs to change to make the destination attractive to shoppers and for retail store operators. In a recent trip to the local shopping mall in San Bruno, California, I noticed how the retail shopping mall has changed in the last few years to adopt to the new shopping trends.
Some of the changes include:
- Mixture of services and store formats in the main mall aisles
- Use of vending machines to dispense higher end products such as cosmetics and electronics
- Integration of digital video inside the store and at the display window to draw traffic/interest
- Store exclusive offerings from personal appearances to store only merchandise that is not available online
- More services offering in the mall from child care to education and entertainment. Read More »