The holiday season which began with Cyber Monday on December 2nd 2013 has just ended and analyzing the impact on mobile commerce sales and location based services unveils some very interesting trends.
Firstly, at the macro level:
- Online shopping increased in the USA in 2013 by over 16% compared to 2012.
- From a mobility perspective, almost a third of all online sales (29%) were made from Smartphones or Tablets.
Clearly there are changes in the online marketplace, but in order to examine this a little further, let’s look at a few key questions to help understand what is happening in this marketplace:
- What are the major trends?
- Is mobile commerce just a US phenomenon?
- What impact does location based services have?
- Where are the main benefits coming from analytics?
- How is privacy fitting in to all this and how is the attitude of mobile consumers evolving?
Trends 2013: Read More »
Tags: analytics, Android, Cyber Monday, ecommerce, IOS, iphone, lbs, location, location based services, location-based, mcommerce, mobile, mobile commerce, mobile consumers, mobile device, mobile traffic, mobility, NRF, online shopping, privacy, smartphone, trends, wi-fi, wifi, wireless
Takeaway: The Cisco Enterprise Mobility group has stayed ahead of the competition by staying innovative and cutting edge while delivering quality, high performing products and solutions, while displaying thought leadership on major technological trends such as 802.11ac and location-based services. We use this mobility blog as a platform to deliver information straight to wireless fans and readers. Here are the top 10 most read posts in 2013.
10. Monetize Your WLAN Using Cisco Location Analytics
9. Cisco Hacks: Notes from the CMX Hackathon
8. Looking Past the Mobile Phone
7. 802.11ac: Is Your Network Ready for Next-Gen Wi-Fi Traffic?
6. Cisco’s New Wall AP Helps Hoteliers Deliver In-Room Wi-Fi Access
5. Client Adoption for 802.11ac Wireless Technology Read More »
Tags: analytics, Cisco, Connected, Enterprise, Gartner, hackathon, ios7, IT, location, location based services, mobile, mobility, New Year, technology, wi-fi, wifi, wireless
In my recent post, “The Internet of Everything’s Impact on Hospitality”, I discussed how the Internet of Everything (IoE) is currently transforming the hospitality industry to more effectively enhance the guest experience while ensuring operational efficiencies and sustainability for hoteliers.
As we continue to move into a new age of mobile and connected things, IoE presents a number of advantages for hoteliers, increasing business value as well as securing customer loyalty through enhanced guest experiences. Hotels that leverage IoE capabilities are made possible through technologies such as Wi-Fi-enabled RFID sensors and Bluetooth LE.
Read More »
Tags: Antonio Dimilia, Cisco, Connected, data, hospitality, hotel, hotelier, Internet of Everything, IoE, location, location-based, mobile, mobile device, wi-fi, wifi, wireless
When a person is considered tech-savvy and “always-connected” in their day-to-day life, these expectations don’t change when they stay in a hotel. In fact, this new “connected hotel guest” actually expects the same mobile experience at hotels that they receive at home or work. Hoteliers across the world are constantly trying to find ways to meet the increasing needs of the mobile-connected guest. Previously, hotel Wi-Fi was used primarily for guests and staff connectivity, but now, it’s becoming much more than that because of these guests’ needs. Read More »
Tags: Cisco, Connected, data, hospitality, hotel, hotelier, Internet of Everything, IoE, location, location-based, mobile, mobile device, wi-fi, wifi, wireless
Next Thursday you don’t want to miss a live technical webcast with Q&A on the hot topic of Wi-Fi location-based services. Join Techwise tech legend Jimmy Ray Purser and technical marketing engineer lead Darryl Sladden for a deep technical discussion covering the ins and outs of Cisco’s Mobility Services Engine – the intelligence engine in the Cisco Wi-Fi network that enables Cisco Connected Mobile Experiences functionality.
You’ll get a full, hands-on view of four pieces of the solution and see how it all ties into your Wi-Fi network:
- Location detection – how Cisco’s Wi-Fi infrastructure detects mobile devices and calculates their location
- Analytics – how the MSE aggregates and reports Wi-Fi location data and trends to administrators and operations leads so that they can better understand guest behavior
- APIs – how Cisco’s Mobility Services APIs provide application developers rich, contextual information they can use to create a variety of internally and externally-facing apps
- Maps – a use case of how Cisco uses it’s own Wi-Fi location-based services inside the organization to increase efficiency and employees get to where they need to go
This is an in-depth session you won’t want to miss. Register now and mark your calendars for December 12!
Tags: analytics, API, cmx, connected mobile experiences, location, location detection, location services, location-based, map, mobile, mobility, Techwise, wi-fi, wifi, wireless