This is part of a series of how location services is a core part of the mobile evolution in various industries. In a previous post I looked at the growth of mobile location, data and context based advertising, and there is no doubt from the evidence that this market space is already big, and predicted to grow exponentially over the next 4 or 5 years.
While this is very interesting at a macro level, for most of us what does that really mean, what can it be used for, how can we get some value or benefits from it….
Let’s look at this from the point of view of various industries, both looking at the uses of the consumer and of the business in a practical manner.
Today we look at the Retail Industry, and ask a few questions to understand the landscape.
- How are consumers habits changing
- What are retailers doing about this
- What can we expect to see in the coming year(s)?
How are consumer habits changing?
We already know that today over two-thirds of all U.S. consumers have a smartphone (expected to be >90% in about 3 years) and the capabilities that this brings is changing the face of retail business as we know it. Specifically looking at mobile retail and advertising the patterns are undeniable, we as mobile retail consumers are doing things differently and happy to engage and be engaged in new ways.
◦ Remember the coupon cutting days…well mobile coupons are starting to become the norm…recent research among mobile users shows significant numbers redeemed mobile coupons… 41% at grocery stores, 41% at department stores, and 39% @ clothing stores (source: Business Insider 2014) Read More »
Tags: ad, advertising, App, application, business, business insider, Cisco, clothing, cmx, connected mobile experiences, consumer, content, context, coupon, customer, customize, data, device, evolution, grocery store, habit, IDC, Industry, landscape, location, location services, location-based, macro, market, mobile, navigation, offer, personalize, phone, Real Time, realtime, retail, rtls, services, show-room, show-rooming, showroom, showrooming, smartphone, store, technology, venue, wayfind, wi-fi, wifi, wireless
It’s exciting to watch the explosive growth of mobile and hyper local based services. Mobile location based services and marketing is rapidly becoming BIG business, with an estimated $4.5B of mobile advertising being location based (rising to over $10B by 2017).
Let’s look at some of the fundamental factors, drivers and numbers behind this growth to put it into context. Read More »
Tags: advertising, analytics, attribution, best practice, click attribution, consume, content, context, conversation, crm, customer, digital, engagement, Industry, location, location-based, marketing, mobile, mobility, model, multi-channel, network, omni-channel, purchasing, relationship, ROI, sales, services, technology, trend, wi-fi, wifi, wireless
Digital Marketing Executives, trade press and specialist companies gathered in New York this week for the latest ClickZ Live NYCevent.
Location, location, location…!!!
A very clear trend visible here is how location had become a key part of the digital marketing language.
It was part of the Keynote addresses.
- Facebook’s former Director of Marketing is advocating it.
- Google are presenting on it and delivering workshops on it.
- Various booths talk about its importance.
- Numerous speakers mention it in their presentation.
- And Cisco are evangelizing how indoor location using WiFi and CMX can really enhance location capabilities and hugely driven additional revenue streams and enable new business models. Read More »
Tags: analytics, attribution, best practice, click attribution, clickz, Conference, consume, content, context, conversation, crm, customer, digital, engagement, Industry, jakarta, location, marketing, mobile, mobility, model, multi-channel, network, omni-channel, purchasing, relationship, ROI, sales, services, technology, trend, wi-fi, wifi, wireless
Mobile usage and penetration within the Air Industry is an interesting topic that most of us can relate to and understand to one degree or another. Having attended the recent Air Passenger EXPO in Barcelona, some of the published reports make for interesting reading. Here are some interesting perspectives and trends:
- During the next 3 years, 98% of Airlines are investing in delivering Passenger Services via Mobile devices
- With 97% investing in Personalization of services to customers
- And 94% planning on delivering Customer Services via social media.
Wireless penetration onboard is growing.
- with 55% of Airlines planning investing in wireless for passengers and 69% investing in wireless for crew usage. Read More »
Tags: ad, airport, analytic, cmx, connect, connected mobile experiences, experience, expo, hospitality, Industry, location, location-based, mobile, mobility, operations, passenger, satisfaction, SITA, terminal, travel, trend, wi-fi, wifi, wireless
Cisco has been playing a critical part for retail, healthcare, hospitality and transportation organizations to gain an understanding of how end-users move throughout an organization’s physical location. This is done through our Cisco Connected Mobile Experiences (CMX) solution.
With all the valuable information CMX provides, the demand for even more accurate data has been growing. Location accuracy has been a hot developing field and, as I mentioned in announcing our Best of Interop Finalist status in the wireless category last week, Cisco’s taken the lead in redefining how this location-based data is acquired.
In the past many solutions have relied on the probing performed by the mobile device to acquire location-based data. In recent months this approach has shown diminishing returns. The underlying issue is that this data is reliant on how frequently the mobile device probes an access point. A couple issues that arise include:
– Mobile device manufacturers are reducing the frequency of device probing to conserve battery. This reduces the number of data points collected and impacts the accuracy of the data
– Different manufacturers probe the access point with varying frequency so some devices deliver more accurate information than others skewing the location analytics data.
At Cisco’s annual Partner Summit event we are revealing some key areas of focus for the upcoming Cisco v8.0 release. Although the list is not inclusive of all new functionality, I would like to highlight some steps we are taking to bring CMX to meet the ever-evolving demand for location-based data.
Step 1: Increasing Data Resolution Read More »
Tags: accuracy, accurate, activity, analytic, API, App, application, battery, Cisco, ciscops14, connect, data, data packet, data point, Development, device, ecosystem, end point, End User, environment, event, frequency, in-house, interop, location, location-based, luncheon, mobile, mobile app, mobility, network, organization, partner, probe, probing, product, rssi, Scalability, scale, sdk, software, solution, tech, technology, user, webcast, wi-fi, wifi, wireless