Today, Cisco unveiled what the Wall Street Journal is calling a new “mega chip” to keep up with growing networking communications demands. This comes on the heels of a new Cisco Smart+Connected City Wi-Fi solution that provides a blueprint for urban environments to deploy pervasive connectivity to their citizens, government agencies and business.
These developments are part of the next wave of innovation: the Internet of Everything. With less than 1 percent of all devices currently connected, we now have the opportunity to IP-enable the remaining 99 percent and transform industries and lives in ways we have never before imagined.
This presents an unprecedented opportunity for American businesses and the U.S. technology industry. In fact, a new paper out today by the Progressive Policy Institute’s Michael Mandel looks at how the Internet of Everything can jumpstart the slugging economy.
Read More »
Tags: Internet of Everything, IoE
Chalkboards. Textbooks. Stacks of papers and folders. All of these items can make anyone a little nostalgic and remind us of our time in primary and secondary school. While basic fundamentals remain the same, classrooms are evolving. The reason? The Internet.
This year’s back-to-school season has sparked many conversations around the future of the classroom. Most parents have seen the workforce and everyday life evolve as the Internet of Everything (IoE) begins to connect more people, places, data, and things. Yet questions about IoE in the classroom persist. That’s why in today’s “Ask the Futurist” post, I take a deeper look at how the IoE will impact the classroom of the future.
Today’s question comes from Rob Coote, a systems analyst for a public K-12 school district in Northern Alberta, Canada. Here’s his two-part question:
Question: “How do you envision the future of the ‘connected classroom’ and one-to-one learning in K-12 education? How do you see this impacting or changing the teacher’s role?”
Read More »
Tags: Cisco, education, forecast, innovation, Internet of Everything, internet of things, IoE, IoT, mobility, network, Tomorrow Starts Here
Over the last 30 years the Internet has transformed multiple times. Most of us take it for granted these days. We expect to watch videos on Netflix, run our meetings over WebEx, talk to our friends across the globe on Skype, and have access whether we’re at work, home, or on the go. But we forget that the Internet wasn’t originally built for this – it’s been barely 20 years since email, the World Wide Web, and always-on network access have become realities. The changes have occurred at a dizzying pace.
In the beginning the only way to handle the work of the Internet – routing and forwarding packets – was by using general-purpose computer chips. This didn’t last long as the explosive growth in network bandwidth drove Cisco and other infrastructure providers to use more customized silicon. Indeed, Cisco’s market success was driven in large part by our ability to offer industry-leading solutions with the best combination of price, performance, and capabilities. This in turn was fueled by Cisco’s use of internally developed network silicon using advanced ASIC development models ahead of competitors who continued to rely on general purpose CPUs or FPGAs to power their products.
Now the Internet is on Read More »
Tags: #SystemForIoE, ASIC, Cisco nPower™ Network Processor, Internet of Everything, IoE, network processor, npower x1, Service Provider
Microsensors in your shoes compile data on where you go and how much you walk or run. Your workout clothes track your daily progress at the gym and tell you when to slow down or speed up. The pill you swallow reports back on the state of your digestion, vital signs, and overall well-being. And as you sleep, a headband monitors your REM patterns.
A far-fetched sci-fi fantasy? Not at all. It’s merely a glimpse Read More »
Tags: Big Data, Cisco Consulting Services, employee productivity, Enterprise, innovation, Internet of Everything, IoE, IoE Value Index, Quantified Self
Today’s cities are experiencing the emergence of a new imperative from public leaders and industries. “Digital urbanism” is rapidly becoming a central pillar for urban planners, architects, developers, and transportation providers, as well as in public service provision.
From a public leadership perspective, cities can be viewed as microcosms of the interconnected networks that make up the Internet of Everything (IoE). In fact, cities serve as “fertile ground” for realizing value from IoE.
Read More »
Tags: Cisco, economic development, Internet of Everything, IoE, IoE Economy, Smart Cities, value at stake