Our last but not least guest blog on “Why I Love Big Data Partner Series” is up! If you are on your way back home from Cisco Live, this would be a great read for your commute. Rob Rosen from Platfora will take us through how easy it is to uncover previously hidden threats with an integrated big data solution that dynamically analyzes large volumes of disparate security data from Cisco’s security portfolio. If you missed Cisco Live this year, Rob also did a great job summarizing some of the key highlights.
Rob Rosen, Sr. Director Partner Solutions at Platfora, is responsible for developing Big Data solutions within Platfora’s partner community including Cisco, Hadoop distribution providers and Platfora’s growing channel partner team. Rob has worked in leadership capacities with technology leaders in the infrastructure and Big Data space including MapR Technologies, NetApp, Check Point Software and Sun Microsystems.
Highlights from Cisco Live: Top Insights from Platfora
It was a jam-packed week at Cisco Live and I had the opportunity to dive into the latest developments around big data analytics and security. It’s well known that as IT infrastructure has transferred to virtual cloud-based applications and storage, organizations need visibility and security to keep their assets and data safe. I saw a lot of impressive presentations and I was able to share our own technology in partnership with Cisco.
Highlights from this week’s conference:
- John Chambers’ keynote: Everyone’s talking about it—and for good reason. As he welcomed the crowd to Cisco Live, Chambers focused on exactly how businesses get disrupted in the digital age. He urged attendees and organizations to not hesitate to scrutinize their IT infrastructure and adopt the new technologies they’d see at the conference.
- Collaboration across companies: There was a huge ecosystem of technology companies that partnered with Cisco for a presence at the event. It’s encouraging to see that these tech giants across all industries are collaborating with one another to develop more comprehensive solutions for customers. Cisco’s leading the pack as it models an inclusive approach built on partnerships—which is better for everyone in the long run.
- Cisco Intercloud announcement: This is a particularly exciting partnership announcement for Platfora. Cisco’s Intercloud Ecosystem could be described as a hybrid “cloud of clouds.” For anyone looking to pull value from their stored data, manage files or do a huge variety of other vital business tasks, this development is huge.
Read More »
Tags: #CiscoACI, #CLUS, @ciscoDC, Big Data, cisco live, CiscoUCS, Hadoop, john chambers, Platfora, security
Hadoop is a Game Changer ! Cisco and MapR have partnered to offer a comprehensive portfolio for enterprise Hadoop deployments that combines Cisco UCS and the MapR Distribution for Apache Hadoop. With significant investments in architectural innovations, the joint solution offers a high-performance platform that can be optimized and scaled for any size to meet the demanding needs of our customers. Today, we are announcing the 3rd generation of our joint solution:
- Based on Cisco UCS Integrated Infrastructure for Big Data – extending our vision of Integrated Infrastructure to help organizations deploy and scale applications faster to drive the revenue side of the business, while reducing risks and TCO
- Taking full advantage of the high performance compute, internal storage and active-active network fabric with crucial investments in MapR improving performance and scalability while maintaining the Apache Hadoop API and application compatibility for broad applicability
- Large scale production deployments in a range of industries including finance, healthcare, media retail and government
- Foundation for an enterprise data hub with support for out-of-the-box multi-tenancy ensuring application level SLAs, guarantee isolation, enforce quotas, job placement control, security and delegation as well as providing a low cost of operations and simpler manageability with UCS Manager and the MapR control system
- Fully automated provisioning and deployment of a cluster with Cisco UCS Director Express for MapR with a single management pane across both physical infrastructure and Hadoop software, with advanced application-level monitoring
- Scalability to very larger clusters with Cisco Application Centric Infrastructure, enabling multi-tenancy, policy-based flowlet switching, packet prioritization to deliver- throughput on demand, leading-edge load balancing across UCS domains.
Solution Brief: Cisco UCS Integrated Infrastructure for Big Data with MapR
Cisco Validated Design: Cisco UCS Integrated Infrastructure for Big Data with MapR with Multi-Tenancy Extension
Cisco UCS Big Data Design Zone
Cisco UCS Solution Accelerator Paks for Big Data
Tags: Big Data, Hadoop, MapR, Multi-Tenancy
Big Data is better than a sharp stick in the eye. I can say this with great authority, since I missed the first half of Strata+Hadoop World 2015 in San Jose because of the latter. But eye injuries have never kept me offline for long, and I was able to follow online with what I didn’t see in person. But I was very happy to make it in to the show on Friday, and even got a seat at about row 6 in the main hall for the keynotes. Read More »
Tags: Big Data, Hadoop, Hortonworks, MapR, Pivotal, Splunk
Big data and analytics are changing the competitive playing field. Winners will find ways to turn unprecedented growth and complexity of big data, cloud, IoT devices and more into competitive advantage.
The Value of Big Data Integration
Big data itself can provide significant insight, impact and advantage. These outcomes can be multiplied when big data is combined with existing enterprise data or even other big data. These insights can lead to enriched customer engagement, faster new product innovation, higher returns on capital and more. The possibilities are endless. And your competition has the same objectives.
As a result, integrating big data intelligently is a challenge on nearly everyone’s short list. Three patterns of integration have formed around big data integration.
Cisco Data Virtualization is proving a key enabler, delivering many of the capabilities required. With Cisco UCS and key partners including Appfluent, Cloudera, Hortonworks, Informatica and MapR providing additional value add.
Integration Pattern 1 – Hadoop to Hadoop Integration
The Cisco Hadoop-to-Hadoop Data Integration solution provides a more agile and faster way to access and query multiple Hadoop clusters. This solution enables even “bigger” big data analytics for greater insights and business impacts.
Integration Pattern 2 – Hadoop to Enterprise Integration
The Cisco Hadoop-to-Enterprise Data Integration solution provides a more agile and faster way to bring together traditional enterprise data with the new world of big data. Accessing and querying both Hadoop and enterprise data enriches the analytic opportunities and results in better business decisions.
Integration Pattern 3 – Data Warehouse Optimization Integration
With data warehouse data doubling every two years, data warehouse costs are skyrocketing. To reduce these ever-growing warehouse management costs Cisco and Informatica recently announced a joint Data Warehouse Optimization solution.
This offering combines the hardware, software and services required to successfully offload processing and storage from data warehouses to Hadoop. Not only does it significantly reduce costs, the solution also help organizations integrate and analyze more data and types of data, and thus drive greater business impacts.
At Strata + Hadoop World last week, I discussed this new solution with Jim McHugh, VP of UCS & Data Center Solutions Marketing at Cisco.
To learn more about these solutions and how Cisco’s rich portfolio of big data and analytics solutions can help you unlock the value of your big data, check out these two on-demand seminars:
Unlock Your Competitive Edge with Cisco Big Data and Analytics Solutions
Analytics Solutions for Driving Better Business Outcomes
Join the Conversation
Follow us @CiscoDataVirt.
Learn More from My Colleagues
Check out the blogs of Mala Anand, Mike Flannagan and Nicola Villa to learn more.
Tags: Big Data, data and analytics, data integration, data virtualization, data warehouse optimization, Hadoop, UCS