Delivering on the promise of Big Data and Analytics takes an ecosystem of partners who collaborate to integrate the underlying technologies so your organization can turn data into business value – faster. That’s why Cisco and MapR are teaming to deliver integrated solutions that are transforming the way organizations deploy and capitalize on the value of Hadoop technology.
The Cisco UCS Integrated Infrastructure for Big Data with MapR solution combines the MapR Distribution including Apache Hadoop with Cisco UCS Integrated Infrastructure for Big Data, which unifies computing, storage, connectivity, and management capabilities. This validated solution delivers an industry-leading architectural platform for Hadoop-based applications.
Cisco and MapR continue to innovate to enable new customer use cases. MapR Senior Solutions Architect, Dr. James Sun, provides an excellent example on his latest blog on Dockerizing Apache Webservers with Cisco UCS, Apache Mesos and MapR.
Read More »
Tags: Big Data, Hadoop, MapR, Strata Hadoop, UCS
Guest Blog by Ron Graham
Ron Graham had served as a Data Center Architect and Systems Engineer for some of the largest IT companies in the U.S. including Cisco Systems, NetApp, Sun Microsystems, and Oracle. He is currently working for Cisco Systems as a Big Data Analytics Engineer.
What is Data Virtualization? Our definition is: Agile data integration software that makes it easy to access all your data no matter where it’s managed, and query it across the network as if it were in a single place. I like to say it differently – the real value lies in its ability to provide business users with a single high-level view of data that is spread across their infrastructure.
Data Virtualization is essentially middleware software that leverages a high-performance query engine and can utilize advanced computer architectures such as Cisco UCS. It’s a virtual data integration layer that can deliver data from multiple sources that are loosely coupled or have little or no knowledge of the other components. Of course this is done in a logically organized manner as show by the diagram below.
This is all nice but where is the beef, or the sex appeal? The sexy part is in the front-end business intelligence platforms and data visualization tools that can access and analyze data such as Tableau. Tableau can simply access data through the Cisco Data Virtualization with an ODBC driver. From here, business users can query data on demand from a single point of access (i.e. a common data model) without having to understand the different schemas or SQL dialects of the original data sources.
Read More »
Tags: Big Data, Cisco, Cisco UCS, data center, Hadoop, Strata Hadoop, Tableau
Have you heard Weston Jossey explain his company’s hybrid cloud strategy before? If you haven’t, get comfortable and enjoy the recording of our most recent OpenStack Podcast. In it, Wes explains why his company chose to deploy a private cloud, what they use it for, and how they use it in conjunction with AWS to achieve maximum efficiency. Seriously–if you’re looking for tips about how to do hybrid well, this is the podcast for you. Wes makes it easy to understand both the upside and downside of private clouds in general and OpenStack-based private clouds in particular. Plus, he’s extraordinarily honest about what OpenStack is good for and what it’s not so good for. Among other things, in this interview, Wes discusses:
- Tapjoy’s big data architecture
- How they handle 5-10 billion transactions per day
- The TCO of their OpenStack-based cloud
- How he finds great hires in a competitive market
- How Tapjoy automates deployment
Have a show idea? Tweet Jeff and Niki at @openstackpod
See past episodes, subscribe, or view the upcoming schedule on the OSPod website.
To see the full transcript of this interview, click “Read more” below.
Read More »
Tags: AWS, Hadoop, Hybrid Cloud, OpenStack, podcast, Tapjoy
Our last but not least guest blog on “Why I Love Big Data Partner Series” is up! If you are on your way back home from Cisco Live, this would be a great read for your commute. Rob Rosen from Platfora will take us through how easy it is to uncover previously hidden threats with an integrated big data solution that dynamically analyzes large volumes of disparate security data from Cisco’s security portfolio. If you missed Cisco Live this year, Rob also did a great job summarizing some of the key highlights.
Rob Rosen, Sr. Director Partner Solutions at Platfora, is responsible for developing Big Data solutions within Platfora’s partner community including Cisco, Hadoop distribution providers and Platfora’s growing channel partner team. Rob has worked in leadership capacities with technology leaders in the infrastructure and Big Data space including MapR Technologies, NetApp, Check Point Software and Sun Microsystems.
Highlights from Cisco Live: Top Insights from Platfora
It was a jam-packed week at Cisco Live and I had the opportunity to dive into the latest developments around big data analytics and security. It’s well known that as IT infrastructure has transferred to virtual cloud-based applications and storage, organizations need visibility and security to keep their assets and data safe. I saw a lot of impressive presentations and I was able to share our own technology in partnership with Cisco.
Highlights from this week’s conference:
- John Chambers’ keynote: Everyone’s talking about it—and for good reason. As he welcomed the crowd to Cisco Live, Chambers focused on exactly how businesses get disrupted in the digital age. He urged attendees and organizations to not hesitate to scrutinize their IT infrastructure and adopt the new technologies they’d see at the conference.
- Collaboration across companies: There was a huge ecosystem of technology companies that partnered with Cisco for a presence at the event. It’s encouraging to see that these tech giants across all industries are collaborating with one another to develop more comprehensive solutions for customers. Cisco’s leading the pack as it models an inclusive approach built on partnerships—which is better for everyone in the long run.
- Cisco Intercloud announcement: This is a particularly exciting partnership announcement for Platfora. Cisco’s Intercloud Ecosystem could be described as a hybrid “cloud of clouds.” For anyone looking to pull value from their stored data, manage files or do a huge variety of other vital business tasks, this development is huge.
Read More »
Tags: #CiscoACI, #CLUS, @ciscoDC, Big Data, cisco live, CiscoUCS, Hadoop, john chambers, Platfora, security
Hadoop is a Game Changer ! Cisco and MapR have partnered to offer a comprehensive portfolio for enterprise Hadoop deployments that combines Cisco UCS and the MapR Distribution for Apache Hadoop. With significant investments in architectural innovations, the joint solution offers a high-performance platform that can be optimized and scaled for any size to meet the demanding needs of our customers. Today, we are announcing the 3rd generation of our joint solution:
- Based on Cisco UCS Integrated Infrastructure for Big Data – extending our vision of Integrated Infrastructure to help organizations deploy and scale applications faster to drive the revenue side of the business, while reducing risks and TCO
- Taking full advantage of the high performance compute, internal storage and active-active network fabric with crucial investments in MapR improving performance and scalability while maintaining the Apache Hadoop API and application compatibility for broad applicability
- Large scale production deployments in a range of industries including finance, healthcare, media retail and government
- Foundation for an enterprise data hub with support for out-of-the-box multi-tenancy ensuring application level SLAs, guarantee isolation, enforce quotas, job placement control, security and delegation as well as providing a low cost of operations and simpler manageability with UCS Manager and the MapR control system
- Fully automated provisioning and deployment of a cluster with Cisco UCS Director Express for MapR with a single management pane across both physical infrastructure and Hadoop software, with advanced application-level monitoring
- Scalability to very larger clusters with Cisco Application Centric Infrastructure, enabling multi-tenancy, policy-based flowlet switching, packet prioritization to deliver- throughput on demand, leading-edge load balancing across UCS domains.
Solution Brief: Cisco UCS Integrated Infrastructure for Big Data with MapR
Cisco Validated Design: Cisco UCS Integrated Infrastructure for Big Data with MapR with Multi-Tenancy Extension
Cisco UCS Big Data Design Zone
Cisco UCS Solution Accelerator Paks for Big Data
Tags: Big Data, Hadoop, MapR, Multi-Tenancy