By Uwe Lambrette, Director of Service Provider Solutions, Cisco Internet Business Solutions Group (IBSG)
Cisco IBSG’s recent interviews with about 45 enterprise CIOs and architects clearly revealed that enterprises have a preference for private cloud. They want to maintain control over their IT, especially where the architecture is new and skills need to be built. In addition, they are not comfortable with accepting externally provided cloud solutions (although there are certainly exceptions).
At the same time, the survey indicated that once enterprises have gained private-cloud experience, they are more willing to allocate this architecture to an external provider.
This is reminiscent of the classic outsourcing
cycle, where corporate functions are moved externally once they have become a commodity.
This trend has Read More »
Tags: CIOs, Cisco, cloud, Cloud Computing, cloud providers, cloud services, Enterprise, Hybrid Cloud, IBSG, infrastructure, IT, private cloud, Service Provider, service providers, SPs
Cisco continues its cloud computing performance leadership with the announcement of VMware® VMmark™ 2.1 benchmark result published on July 10th 2012.
The Cisco UCS B200 M3 Blade Server’s score of 11.30@10 tiles on the VMware VMmark 2.1 benchmark outperforming all other 2-socket blade servers. The world-record score demonstrates how well a system’s servers, network, and storage components support virtual machine movement, storage migration, and virtual machine provisioning.
First generation VMmark (VMmark 1.x) was a server consolidation workload. It measured how many VMs that can be run on a single server. VMmark 2.x is the next generation benchmark from VMware that was introduced in December 2010. The VMmark 2.1 benchmark uses a tiled design that incorporates six real-world workloads to determine a virtualization score. Then it factors VMware vMotion, Storage vMotion, and virtual machine provisioning times to determine an infrastructure score. The combination of these scores is the total benchmark score. Because Cisco UCS is a truly unified system, it delivers both virtualization and infrastructure performance.
Read More »
Tags: benchmark, Cisco UCS, Cloud Computing, infrastructure, performance, VMmark
Organizations small or large can deploy collaboration technologies on premises, on the cloud, or on both with a hybrid deployment. I believe that the source or the provider of collaboration technology should be transparent to the end-user and that the experience should be the same regardless of deployment model or device used.
At Cisco we’re very focused on offering flexible deployment models that support on-premises, cloud, or hybrid deployments of our collaboration technologies. Of course, these are built on our collaboration architecture to ensure the interoperability and user experience. Read More »
Tags: Accenture, AT&T, Callway, Cisco Collaboration Cloud, Cisco HCS, cloud, Cloud Computing, collaboration, collaboration cloud, CSC, HCS, OBS, Sprint, Verizon, vodafone, WebEX
As the role of cloud computing grows stronger, IT decision makers in 13 countries shared their plans and concerns in a study commissioned by Cisco and distributed by Insight Express. According to the 2012 Cisco Global Cloud Networking Survey released this week, cloud deployments are expected to increase significantly by the end of 2012.
Highlights of Cisco Cloud Survey results
Read More »
Tags: Cisco Global Networking Survey, cloud, Cloud Computing, data center, private cloud, Unified Data Center
The 2012 Cisco Global Cloud Networking Survey, which includes participants from more than 1,300 IT decision makers in 13 countries, was commissioned to measure the adoption of cloud services by IT professionals globally, while examining potential challenges to their cloud migrations. Below, we take a deeper look at some of the positive, negative, and strange aspects to come out of the survey.
On the positive side, 73% of respondents felt they have enough information to begin their private or public cloud deployments. This leaves 27% who claim to feel more knowledgeable about how to play Angry Birds than the steps needed to migrate their company to the cloud. While Angry Birds is a fun game to play, this wan’t the strangest result from this research. Read More »
Tags: applications, Borderless Networks. Cisco Global Cloud Networking Survey, cloud, Cloud Computing, cloud migrations, cloud services, interop, Interop Las Vegas 2012, IT, mobility, routing, security, survey, vdi, virtual desktop, WAN latency, WAN Optimization, wireless